Chapter 4: Chosen One

That night they walked in silence. Jade was concerned but knew something significant was happening if her aunt, a member of the Atlantian Counsel, was here in the mainland. After a while there was a faint light in the sky overhead indicating the approaching dawn. Saje stopped walking and set down his things.

"We will rest for a bit here," he declared. "We have to reach the edge of the forest by nightfall."

"Why?" questioned Jade.

"Godarik's Spire is surrounded by a plain on all sides. If we were to be seen approaching we would be sitting ducks for an enemy attack. We will go under the cover of night."

"How will we see where we are going" asked Jade.

"There are more ways of seeing than just with your eyes," he replied simply. "You will learn this better than anyone."

"What do you mean?"

"You mentioned a mark on your hand and you have the sudden ability to do magic," began Saje. "These are signs that you are the Chosen One."

"Chosen One?"

"There is an old legend that there were five guardians of the five elements. In order to protect them, four of the guardians were hidden away with their true power. The guardians decided to hideaway in certain times of the year so that their powers would not resurface all at once. They each chose the one season of the year with which they held a close bond. The fifth guardian merged with a fierce Elven sage who would quell the threat they faced and to bring the world to peace. She formed the land of Hegasha and rebuilt the City of Atlantis from the ruins of the war that was fought.

"Afterward, a prophecy was made saying that a time would come where the need of the elements would resurface to face another threat. A Chosen One marked with a seasonal symbol would be able to master the four elements in their respective seasons. The Chosen One would then face off against the darkness to confront their fate.The legend also surmises that the secret to their power lies in their nature."

"So the mark on my hand— "

"Is the seasonal mark," finished Saje. "It will change each season giving you the elemental power of that season."

"Elemental power? What—"

Suddenly, Saje took a defensive stance and jumped in front of Jade. Men appeared from the trees wearing fierce expressions and animal pelts. Their teeth had fangs to them and they had weapons made from sticks and stones. Saje said a single word to Jade:"Lycanthropes".

One man emerged in front of all the others. His pelt included a hood made from a wolf's head."Who enters our territory?" demanded the Man.

"Saje the Roamer and Jade of Cresalda," said Saje cautiously. "We mean no disrespect to your people or territory. We were making out way out to Godarik's Spire and did not realize we had entered your territory."

"The trees surrounding this area were clearly marked with claws and scent. The new moon was just two nights ago and our power is still weak, we take any and all trespassers as a threat."Jade looked around them and saw the men closing in from all sides. She had a sinking feeling in her gut.

"Please see reason. I mean you no harm," Saje pleaded.

"It's out of my hands," said the man raising his arm in the air to signal an attack.

The men charged at them and in that second Jade drew hersword, thinking Not like this... when a wall of solid rock erupted around her and Saje on all sides. She looked up to see the men peering over the side of wall. The wall shattered into pieces and the men were thrown to the ground. One man charged at her with a club made of a stick and stone. She sliced through the stick and the manfell to the ground. She kept her sword at his throat and saw that sheand Saje were surrounded but the other men were reluctant to attack.

She sheathed her sword and addressed the man who spoke earlier."I mean no harm," she said in a loud confident voice. "We are simply making our way to Godarik's Spire. We have no intention of harming you or your men, but if you try to attack us again we will defend ourselves to the fullest."

The man approached Jade, removed his hood, held out his hand, and said "I am Chief Fang of the werewolves, I hereby extend you a full welcome to our territory."Jade took the chief's hand and shook while Saje looked on.The chief saw Saje and looked him over then said, "I would like a word with you."

"We are in a hurry" Said Saje.

"We will make the trip easier for you, we know all the shortcuts and what areas to avoid," said the chief. "I just want a quick word with you alone."

Saje sighed and went with Chief Fang to a secluded area of the nearby woods. This part of the woods was peaceful, with a beam of light shining through the thicket of treetops.

"Are you the protege of Arda?" Fang asked quietly.

Saje matched his tone with a hushed "Yes."

"Then I apologize in full for not recognizing you," said ChiefFang. "I recognized you as Atlantian and you were obviously a high caliber sage."

"The Atlantian Counsel have really ravaged us all, haven't they," said Saje with a sigh.

"They fear the extent of our powers and as a result criminalize us all. I heard you and your teacher had it especially rough. To set you up like that just to get rid of her. To use the Xaug Prophecy to such an extent. I have to ask, did you stop it?"

Saje looked over at Jade. "No I did not. We have our Chosen One."

Fang looked over at Jade moving a rock through the air to the amazement of the werewolves. "She's off to a great start. She could beat Xaug easily."

Saje sighed and looked sadly at the young woman embracing her power and said softly, "Not if you believe the Prophecy..."