Chapter 21: "We Need to Be Honest"

After her mom regained her composure Jade addressed the entire group. "We need to be honest," she began. "In the end, keeping me from knowing the truth will not protect me. It will do more harm than good. So, what does the prophecy say? Tell me the truth."

Saje sighed. "As your mentor I guess it's my job. This prophecy was made by Arda after sealing away the Dark One and Lucifer:

"This victory over the forces of darkness will be short-lived. On the Nine Hundred Ninety Ninth Anniversary of this day, in this exact spot, one who has taken the name Xaug will enact the power of this prophecy. Throughout the following year he will sow seeds of darkness that will ultimately bring the world to its destruction. All will be powerless to stop his reign, except for a Chosen One who will bear a mark of the season on their hand. The Chosen One will be tasked with reuniting the elemental guardians and mastering the power of the elements through the raw emotion that governs them. On the One Thousandth Anniversary of this day the Chosen One is to confront Xaug. The Chosen One has the power to kill the Xaug but will die in the attempt. The Xaug's seeds will take root and the world's fate will be sealed.

This is what the prophecy said and so far it has come true. If it is to be believed all our efforts will be in vain."

So if I fail, the world burns, thought Jade. "If I'm up against fate itself, I need to be strong."

Flint let out a low scoff.

"Something funny, Flint?" asked Jade. She did not miss the sarcastic notes he implied.

"You talk about honesty but it goes both ways," said Flint aggressively.

"What do you mean?"

"You have not accepted your role. All this talk about being strong to defy fate when you haven't even accepted who you are. You need to understand the raw emotion of the elements and yet you have no idea what it means to have a strong will. Your indecision will be our death!"

"Flint!" scolded Arda. "That's enough!"

"No, Arda," he responded. "She needs to hear this!" He turned his attention back to Jade. "You had a chance to kill Xaug and you hesitated. You had a chance to confront your family when you first had doubts and you avoided the argument that would ensue. You keep saying you need a strong will and yet you carry a sword that serves as a reminder to hold back!"

Jade gripped the handle of her sword and realized he was right. The sole reason she carried this bloodstained sword was to hold her back from killing. She looked into the stony expression of the golem and realized he wasn't saying this out of anger but necessity. It was what she needed to hear.

"You need to have a strong will or you will find the earth fall out from under you!"

It was with these words she realized something. Ever since her altercation with Xaug, she could no longer sense the earth. Her will was weak and now her power had suffered.