Chapter 16: The Elven Surplus Festival

After a week of secret training at night with Hendok, Jade was getting the hang of using psychic energy. Hendok told her that once she was skilled enough she could start reading minds. He did warn her to exercise restraint because high caliber sages can booby trap their minds against intrusive mind control. On the seventh day of her training Hendok told her about the Elven Surplus Festival the next day and that their training would have to wait until the day after.

"What's the Elven Surplus Festival?"

"It's when we take all the surplus food from the past winter and share it all during one evening. There's music, dancing, entertainment, and of course lots of food."

"You do this every year?"

"Only when there is a specific amount of surplus," explained Hendok. "It serves as a motivation to take only what is needed for the winter. We have more than twice the necessary surplus, which is fortunate, seeing as how we have company this year. I also hear one of the women in the village has grown wings."

"What does that mean?" asked Jade.

"Every now and then a female elf will grow wings and be granted enhanced magical power. Then she takes her rightful place as princess of the Elven race and eventually, when she's old enough and masters her power, a queen."

"What makes them change?"

"No one knows. All we know is that it is exclusive to the women of the Elven race because the Elven women tend to have better leadership skills, compassion for all life, and a higher resistance to dark magic."

The next night Jade was garbed in a fine dress provided by the Elves. The dress felt light as air with the skirt flowing around like water. The hem of the skirt looked alive like fire while the design of the dress was very earthy. It felt like she was wearing the elements themselves. As she walked outside the trees were alive with brilliant lights of all colors. People were dressed in semi-formal garb. Jade followed the crowds to the center of the village and saw an enormous table with a huge array of all kinds of delectable foods.

"Hey there," said Serenity running up in a dress made of fine silk, covered in a pattern of green and blue flames. "They made you a dress too, huh?"

"Yes!" replied Jade."What about Talon? Where is he?"

"Where else would my killjoy of a brother be?" Serenity rolled her eyes. He's staying his is room tonight."

"We can't have that," said Jade. "I'll go talk to him."

Jade ran off to the hut Serenity shared with Talon and knocked on the door to his half. He opened the door and stared at her for a second, clearly taking in how she looked in the dress. "What's wrong?" he asked finally.

"You are staying in your room when there is a festival to attend!" said Jade. "Would you like to accompany me?"

"Why?"

"I thought we just enjoy ourselves tonight." She was now becoming aware of how distant he felt.

"Enjoy ourselves?" Talon breathed. "I don't deserve that kind of treatment. I don't deserve to enjoy myself."

"Why not? Everyone deserves to enjoy themselves every once in awhile."

"What about evil people, like Xaug or Syvix?"

Jade hesitated, she wasn't expecting this kind argument. "But you are not them."

"How do you know?" Talon demanded feverishly. "You know nothing about me beyond what I can do and that Serenity is my sister."

"Then tell me," prodded Jade. "Don't distance yourself from me. I just want to be your friend."

"I used to work for Xaug," confessed Talon. "I gave him an artifact of my race that destroyed my entire home; a crystal that kept our city floating in the sky. Even with our entire race decimated I still handed it over to him. I failed my people. I don't deserve to live a single day without regret and I don't deserve a single night of peace!"

Talon looked at Jade expecting her to be taken aback, but was surprised.

"You realized what you did was wrong. You joined us to stop Xaug because you know what he is capable of, right? You might not think you deserve a night to relax but you are clearly trying to atone for the sins of your past. Stop groveling in self pity and dance with me."

Talon closed the door without saying a word. Jade turned around and went back to the festival where a tiara was being placed on an Elven woman's head.

"All hail Princess Layire!" cheered Belsy.

The Elves followed in his cheer. "All hail Princess Layire!"

Jade saw her mother and father a short ways off talking to one another and followed them as they stepped behind a house. As she rounded the corner to greet them, she caught a glimpse of conversation.

"We need to tell her," Grammar said. "It's only a matter of time before she learns on her own. Or worse, what if Xaug tells her? Don't pretend that he wouldn't."

"I know," Arda replied. "She hasn't even accepted her role yet. But to tell her that she will die in the final fight with Xaug—"

"She's strong," he interjected. "She could defy fate."

"We said the same thing about Xaug."

They continued to talk but Jade stopped listening. She slowly walked to her hut to sleep and to think about what she just heard. As she headed back she saw Talon dressed in an orange and red suit standing in front of her house.

"There you are!" he exclaimed. "You left before I could finish getting dressed." He then noticed the look on her face. "What's wrong?"

"I just need to be alone right now," she said as she began to walk past him and into her hut.

He grabbed her hand and pulled her into an embrace. "I may not know what happened but I can tell you need to be alone right now even less than me. You said you wanted to be friends with me and no one should be alone during a festival like this. Well now I will say the same to you. I will be here for you, you don't need to say anything but if you can accept my company I would like to give you that dance you asked for."

Jade nodded and started to dance with Talon as the music from the lively festival played on in the distance. Despite what she just heard for the first time in a while she felt at peace.