21) Fresh apples and cinnamon

"I think we need to talk." Gilbert said as he walked towards the sofa that Anne was sat on in the middle of the small shack in the wintery field.

Anne felt a shiver of fear run through her body. She didn't say a word but nodded briskly.

"Anne..." Gilbert began as he sat beside her on the small sofa.

She turned to look at him. He looked torn.

"You know I don't really like Ruby...right?" He murmured, glancing up at the shocked girl.

"Well I just presumed you moved on after..." she hesitated at the memory of them parting ways "after..." she couldn't bring herself to say it.

"After our kiss." Gilbert concluded as he set his cup down and placed a hand on Anne's arm.

"Yes...I just thought that you moved on and were going to plan your life with ruby now..." she felt tears brim into her ocean blue eyes as she gently placed her cup on the table next to Gilbert's.

"Oh Anne...." He held her chin in one hand and turned it gently to face him as he stared into her glassy eyes.

"You couldn't be more wrong...I'm so sorry for what happened and I wish I could take it back. Anne I don't want ruby, not at all. I don't want to take her to the ball. I don't want Ruby." He stated.

"I just want you." He gazed deeply into her eyes as tears rolled down her cheeks and a smile grew on her pale pink lips.

"I've missed you so much Gil." She sniffed as tears silently traveled down her freckled cheeks.

"I've missed you too princess." He caressed her cheek, wiping a tear off.

They both leaned in slightly, growing more captivated by each other.

Their hearts beat wildly and as one as they leaned in closer, their lips meeting.

It was soft and slow. Their lips melded in to each other as Gilbert's hands traveled down to Anne's waist whilst her arms wrapped around Gilbert's neck and her hands ran through his dark curly locks.

They felt fire ignite between them as their heart, body and soul screamed with happiness.

They smiled against each other's lips as they slowly parted ways.

Anne immediately snuggled up against Gilbert's chest as she took in his scent of fresh apples and cinnamon.

She couldn't be happier than in this moment.