Chapter(14) Nightmares

Recap: Davie's POV
I adjust my grip on the steering wheel and hold my husband's hand as I drive as I think to myself, our girls are back. The other half of our family is back, safe, but not yet sound, but we can change that.

Currently: Davie's POV
We arrive home and we all sit in the car for just a few extra seconds to let our brains catch up to what's already happened today. It's been one hell of a day before we all get out of the car and head inside. I carry Oliver upstairs so she can sleep peacefully while Jay, Gerardo and I all catch up on what life we've missed in the past couple of weeks.

I start to make grilled cheese, considering the doctor mentioned that Jay was a little underweight and it's lunchtime so it's time to eat anyways. I dish out grilled cheeses for everybody and Jay starts to explain Oliver and her time at the orphanage to us.

"When we first got there, the lady that was running the place was okay. Then the social worker left, and everything went to hell, her boyfriend was abusive, she was a drunk who had no business taking care of kids, never mind fifteen kids. The first two days were okay, the school was hell on earth, there were kids shooting up in the hallways and there were people smoking everywhere." She took a bite of her grilled cheese before continuing.

"The first day we were there, Oliver collapsed on the bed and never moved from it. I thought she was just recoiling back into her self-destructive tendencies again, which I worried about enough. But then I went back to the orphanage early from school because I wasn't feeling well. That's when I found out they were beating Oliver; they never did anything too bad. Compared to earlier experiences she's had before." She says, sniffling before continuing.

"Still sucked to see her suffer like that. It was hard, I tried to get her to eat, call you guys maybe, sleep, do anything really, but she wouldn't. She just stared at the wall or she was on the roof. She didn't go to school either, so I don't know what they did to her during the day. But she never talked, just like when she was having a bad day at the apartment." She says, her eyes glaze over and she's remembering something.

But Gerardo and I quickly share a glance at each other that says, 'no flashbacks! Distract her!' So I quickly divert the conversation to anything else. "Hey, how's the grilled cheese taste?" My husband blurts ours awkwardly. I raise an eyebrow at him, 'really that's what you came up with?' He shrugs and Jay laughs (thankfully) and says, "it's great Davie thanks. Now let's go watch a movie." We nod and we walk into the living room, and we turn in the first movie that we saw on Netflix which turned out to be Iron-Man 2.

We get about halfway through the movie when we hear a thump coming from upstairs. I get up to go upstairs to see what's going on, but Gerardo beats me to the stairs, so I stay down with Jay and watch Iron-Man with her.

Oliver's POV:
Dream/Nightmare:
Our old 'home' comes into view, but instead of my mom with the needle in her arm, it's Jay. Suddenly the scene changes once more and it's Gerardo, Davie and me standing overtop a casket that I somehow knew had my sister in it. Davie and Gerardo are on one side of the hole and I'm on the other. They're looking down at the casket, but their heads shoot up simultaneously and glare at me.

"Congrats you've killed everyone who ever cared about you." Before the scene changes again, this time we're in the kitchen and I'm standing over to bodies. Gerardo's and Davie's. I let out a blood-curdling scream, that could alert anyone around for miles.

Davie's head then rolls over to face me and he managed out a strangled, "we never loved you, especially after you killed your sister and your mother. You deserve anything that comes to you."

Then he lets out a cough, blood pours out from the corner of his mouth before he lets in a huge gasp of air. But he never released it because he's dead.
Dream over