Chapter 5 - About To Woah, Woah, Woah Explode

I felt the sun cast it's glow on me through the window. I opened my eyes. As my one vision refocused, I noticed the messy sheets on the other side of the bed. My eyes snapped open as I heard the blare of the fire alarm and smoke seep into my room.

I sprinted out, still in my shirt and boxers, and saw Roger flailing around in the kitchen desperately trying to put out the fire. He swung a towel around and frantically dabbed it on the flame.

"Sh*t!" Roger squealed, relaxing a little as the fire died out. He huffed, but stopped in his tracks when he saw me. I turned off the fire alarm. He side-smiled, holding his hands.

"I guess cooking didn't go so well," I laughed, trying to ease the tension.

He looked down, "I'm sorry for waking you, Brian. I thought I could make you breakfast. Didn't go as planned."

"Aw, don't be sorry! It's the thought that counts, right?"

Roger's smile returned. He nodded and grabbed the pan, "Extra crispy bacon?"

"Oh.. um.. no thank you. I prefer not to eat meat or animal products... especially burnt ones."

"F*ck, I forgot! I'm sorry! Dammit, more bacon for me, I guess. Go on and sit. I made tea; hopefully the one you prefer," he winked.

I smiled and sat down at the table, dismissing the fact that he nearly burned down the complex. I took a sip of tea while Roger watched me expectantly, "It's great, Rog."

"So, uh, do you want toast?"

"Oh, I can go get it-"

"No no, I'll do it," Roger rushed me back down.

I looked back up to him and raised an eyebrow, "You're being really nice..."

"Well, I felt bad for just sleeping on you. Think of this as thanks.. for everything, really," Roger responded, shoving the bread into the toaster.

"Awh.." I blushed, "Of course. You're my friend, my bro."

"Also, your hugs are really f*cking nice!"

"... I'm sorry what?"

"Well, I woke up early, so I jerked to get out of bed, but then I felt something pull me back. And so, I managed to turn my head a little and you were spooning me-"

"I was spooning you?! Roger I'm-"

"No, don't be sorry! It was a very nice hug. I've never been held so tightly! But anyways, I sat there for half an hour, stuck and all, and thought I could make you breakfast. So, I shimmied my way under your arm and nearly choked once my neck reached there. But I didn't wake you up!"

I didn't know how to respond. I sorta just sat there in silence trying to process it over and over. Roger came over with the toast and sat down with his bacon.

He grinned and took a bite. His face turned sour, "Yuck! Too burnt."

"You think?" I scoffed, taking a bite of toast.

"Don't be all sassy like that after I made you breakfast."

"You made me toast."

"Same difference!" Roger exclaimed. He slouched with a pout. I laughed at his childishness.

"Thank you for the toast," I smiled.

He looked up, his eyes twinkling, "You mean it?"

"Of course," I nodded.

Roger grinned widely, "F*ck yes!" he took a victory bite of bread.

As we munched on our breakfast, I began telling him the plans for today, "Mission report says we have to get to the museum before noon."