Chapter 57

Amarie:

It was Thanksgiving Day and I was just happy to be having everyone together. I never had a big family so this Thanksgiving would be my first big one. When I was younger, before my mom had died, we use to have Thanksgiving dinner, just the two of us. My dad would either come later on, never show or just ruin it for me and my mom. He would always find a way to fuck something up and he was good at it. I was happy that I found a group of people that I can call my family. They love me for who I am and I wouldn’t trade them for the world.

Momma J, Mel, Carlos and I were in the kitchen preparing the food. We were having Thanksgiving at Mel and Ty’s house since it was the biggest house between all of us. The boys were in the living room playing video games and just talking shit to each other, typical stuff. They were being loud and rowdy like there was an actual football game in session, when in reality they were just playing Madden. Things were actually seeming to get better. Less bullshit, getting through problems. Nothing was perfect and I wasn’t expecting for it to be that way but it was content for now. Things were either going to get better or worst and I was prepared for both.

“Tell them boys to quiet down in there!” Momma J said to me as I was mixing the kool-aid. I shook my head mixing the kool-aid in the juice jug, closing it and putting it in the fridge. I walked in the living room where the boys were going crazy, wilding out over a game of Madden Ty and Mijo were playing. Ty had just made the final touchdown and they all went crazy. Chris, Hefa and Sean jumped up cheering, jumping around and pushing each other. Ty laid back in the couch laughing while Mijo threw is controller at the floor in anger.

“Nah nigga, you cheated.” Mijo said in anger at Ty. They all started laughing including me.

“Nigga you is just bitter as fuck, I saw that damn touchdown.” I said to Mijo laughing.

“Shut up Mari, yo’ ass just walked in here. You ain’t seen shit.” Mijo spat back at me. The rest of the boys just continued to laugh. Chris went behind Mijo and gave him a wet willy and he jumped up, while Chris and the rest laughed hysterically. These niggas were really some fucking fools.

“Mari, didn’t I say to tell them to quiet down in there!” Momma J shouted from the kitchen. I covered my mouth from laughing while the boys quieted down their laughing. Sean punched Chris in the side and he made a loud noise trying to hold back his pain. He held his side falling down to the floor laughing in pain. The boys laughter grew louder and I put my index finger up to my mouth telling them to ‘Shhh’.

“Shut up niggas, damn.” I said trying to help Chris up from the floor. I reached my arm out and he grabbed my hand pulling me down on top of him. He grabbed my and started tickling my neck with his lips. I tried to restrain my giggles but Chris continued. I tried to push him off of me. I felt him smile in my neck and everything in me grew warm. I wrapped my arms around his neck.

“Get up off her now Chris, I need her in this damn kitchen.” I heard Momma J scream at Chris. He got up and jumped over the coach sitting down on it. I got up and Momma J glared at me. I smiled shyly. She grabbed my arm, intertwining mines with hers walking back to the kitchen. She gave me a small tight smile and narrowed her eyes at me. I just smiled to my self. “You guys are too cute.” She whispered to me while she nudged me. I nudged her back laughed.

“Why was ya’ll being sooooo rowdy?” Mel said laughing as she stirred the cake batter.

“They was being stupid.” I said simply. Carlos took the turkey out the oven, placing it on the counter for Momma J to put the final touches on it. It was going to be a beautiful Thanksgiving. We cooked a lot of food and we had the whole crew over. Even though we all aren’t blood family, it seemed like it. I loved each and everyone of them, no matter what we went through. I was thankful for each and everyone of them, I couldn’t have said it enough.