Chapter 41

Chris:

I couldn’t stand to see all those wires hooked up to her body. The breathing tube that was down her throat helping her breathe. She seemed dead but I knew she wasn’t. She just laid there, unconscious. She had no movement, she looked peaceful but I could tell that she was in pain. I stood over her, just examining her. She had a bandage wrapped around her chest, her face looked pale. A single tear drop fell down my face and I walked over to Mijo and Sean who were leaning against the walk. Ty was still holding Mel who’s crying was hysterical after seeing Mari in this condition.

I stood next to Mijo and tilted my head back into the wall. He looked over at me. I wanted to be strong for her, but this shit made me weak. I never cried and they knew that. No matter how much I wanted the tears to stop falling they wouldn’t stop. I wasn’t even sobbing or anything; it was just tears constantly pouring down. Every time I would try to hold them back, my eyes would start to burn.

“You okay, bro?” Mijo asked. Does it fucking look like I’m okay? My fucking life, everything is laying in the hospital with two holes in her chest, on a breathing tube. I knew he was just looking out for me.

“I’ll be good.” I said sniffling. I looked at her, she was still lying there. I just wanted her to get up and tell me she was okay. That wasn’t going to happen. I looked to my side and I clenched my jaw. Why did this have to happen, why?

“Look Breezy, I’m sorry dude. I truly am—” Sean said walking over to me.

“Nigga get the fuck out my face with that bullshit—” I spat at Sean stepping towards him.

“This ain’t the time for this!” Ty spat the both of us. Sean ignored him.

“Nigga I’m just trying to be here for you!” Sean spat at me.

“You wasn’t there for me when you was fucking my girl was you?” I asked rhetorically shoving him. He shoved me back. I was about to throw a punch at him until a familiar voice cut me off.

“Christopher Maurice, do you not see that child in the hospital bed!” My mom spat at me rushing into the hospital room. I stepped back and leaned against the wall glaring at Sean. He stormed out the room past my mother. My mom walked over to Mari’s bed and looked down at her. “Dear lord.” My mom said as she begin to sob. Damn I hate when my mom cries. I walked over to her and started holding her as she cried into my chest. Mari was like a daughter to her. “I came as soon as Michael called me.” My mom said as I released my grip around her. She looked up at me and caressed my cheek. “You okay baby?” She asked me. I knew she could tell that I had been crying. I bit my bottom lip and nodded yes. She gave me a worried look, she knew I wasn’t okay but she left it alone.

My mom walked over to Ty and Mel. She started rubbing Mel’s back telling her that it was okay to cry and to let it all out. I leaned back against the wall. I couldn’t stop looking at her. I hate seeing her in this critical condition. Everyone was emotionally drained and I could tell. Mel and my momma sat down in chairs close to Mari’s bed. My mom prayed and Mel sobbed quietly holding Mari’s hand. Mel’s grip was tight but Mari had no grip what so ever. My chest got tight. Ty walked pass me and walked out the room. I decided to follow him so I could talk to him.

“Yo.” I called after him. He kept on walking, ignoring me. “Ty nigga just wait.” I spat at him. He stopped and turned around slowly with his hands in his pockets. He gave me a blank face. I stood there with my hands stuffed in my pockets as well. He continued to look at me. I couldn’t look him in the face. I was ashamed in myself.

“Talk nigga.” He demanded.

“Look, I fucked up. I know. I regret everything but you can’t blame this shit only one me!” I spat at him quietly. He laughed and turned around walking forward. “We need to find out who the fuck did this nigga.” I said walking after him. He turned around quickly.