Chapter Twenty-Seven: Ariadne

Start from the beginning

"Ariadne, are you even listening to me?"

I looked up at Harriet. "I think I got it," I said, hoping I would remember the words that had managed to reach my ears.

I grabbed the homemade slider with string wrapped around it and started sliding it between the two rows of strings. "Like that?" I asked.

Harriet nodded her approval. "Now pull it tight and slide this bar up," she continued and I followed her directions, hoping it would distract me since nothing else seemed to work.

"Will you be alright? I have to go check on the staff."

"Yes." I yawned. "I think I can do it now."

She smiled. "I will come to get you when your dinner is ready. The guards are right outside if you need anything."

I nodded and returned her smile. "Take as much time as you need."

I heard the door shut behind me and I sighed. Time to get to work. Now, was I making a rug, or was it a cloak? I shrugged. I'll just do what Harriet told me, and then ask her what it was that I was making when she comes back.

I picked up the slider and started repeating all the steps Harriet told me, hoping I did not forget one of them and have to redo the whole thing.

After I had completed a few rows I stood up and looked at the small piece of material, about as wide as a scarf. It looked terrible. I groaned, I forgot to tighten the string before doing the next row! I flopped down on the bench and let my head drop on the loom in front of me.

I can't even work a loom, how am I supposed to fix anything bigger and more important than that? Or better yet, how am I to rule an entire realm?

I breathed in deeply and slid my arm under my head to cushion it against the wooden loom. I felt tired physically and spiritually.

All of a sudden a little kitten poked its head between my arms. I quickly sat up.

"Hello there," I said, petting it's back. "How long have you been here?"

"In this room?" a small voice squeaked.

I almost fell off my chair in surprise. "Amity?"

The kitten jumped off the loom. "Do you know any other talking animals?"

"I didn't know you could talk," I said in amazement. Then I realized that that had not sounded quite right. "At least, while you were an animal."

She sat down and started licking her tiny paw, but she did not stay still for very long. "Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't."

I laughed as she jumped around. "Do you want to play a game?"

"Depends on the game," I said with a smile.

She looked as if she was about to reply when a maid slipped into the room. I would not have noticed her if I had not already been facing the door.

"Did you need something?" I asked as I waved Amity away, and was relieved when she slipped under the loom.

"No, miss. Harriet just wanted me to be with you, miss."

I groaned inwardly. I could take care of myself. "I appreciate you following her orders, but I really don't need-"

"She insisted, miss."

"Harriet doesn't think the guards outside the door are enough to protect me," I said then turned back to the loom, hoping that the maid would see that I was doing what I was supposed to and then leave.

No response.

I sighed. I had to admire her loyalty, but I really needed a break and Amity could have given me that with her free spirit.

"Have you ever learned how to use a loom?" I asked the now silent maid.

She shook her head. "I haven't the time, miss."

"You do now," I said and waved her over.

It did not take nearly as long to teach her as it had for me to learn. She picked it up right away and never forget a single step. A wonderful quality in a maid, she must be excellent at her job. And after a few more minutes, she had a great rhythm going and soon I found it hard to keep my eyes open.

"Miss?" She said, shaking my tired shoulder.

I slowly sat up.

"Harriet is going to be coming soon, and I thought you'd want to be awake, miss."

I nodded. "Thank you." Then I looked at her sitting on the loom. It would probably be best if Harriet didn't come in to see that I had turned my job over to the maid. "Could you teach me how you are doing that?"

She nodded and let me sit next to her and began showing me her technique. Which was ironic seeing as how she had been doing it less than I had. 

Harriet walked in a minute later with a piece of parchment in her hand. "I'm sorry I had to resort to doing this. However, I need to know where you are going so we can keep you safe. No matter how many guards I put at your door, still you and your sisters manage to escape your rooms and wear out your slippers and dirty your gowns every night. If you tell me now where you go every night and never do it again, then I will not post this to the entire kingdom."

I took the parchment from her hands and read-

To all eligible young men,

The 12 Princesses of Glendowin disappear every night, wearing out their slippers and getting dirt on their dresses without anyone noticing where they go.

If any man can figure out where they go every night after staying 3 days in the castle, then they will have the princess of their choice's hand in marriage.

-The councilors of Glendowin

I couldn't believe what I had just read. What I could believe were all of the signatures from my father's councilors at the bottom. How could they do this?

There was no way I could let any of my sisters be forced into a marriage they didn't want. I look at Harriet and opened my mouth to tell her where we went. 

But no words would come out. My voice was gone.

I coughed. "What's happening?" My eyes widened in alarm as I tried once again.

I couldn't say it. 

What has Estevan done to me?

Thanks for reading!!

What are your thoughts??

Why can't Ariadne tell Harriet?

How cool is Amity!?

Make sure to comment and vote!!