51

"Let go of me, Edmund!"

"No!" I clenched my teeth trying to contain the anger breaking through. "You are coming with me!"

Maria was trying to pull herself out of my grip, but with no success.

"Why? What have I done?"

"You know better!"

She noticed the strong guards standing beside the carriage, which did not look like something a presentable and respected lady would use.  It was simpler, in the same colors as my own, but instead of crystal clear windows on the sides, it held strong iron bars preventing anyone from escaping. I had a feeling she has caught up on what is about to come as her eyes widened and she gulped for air.

"You are gone insane Edmund! Presenting me like some criminal in the eyes of others?" She spat quietly. "Can't you just accept the reality that that damn slave does not love you? She left you because you are an idiot who cares only for yourself!"

"Save your words for later. And.... think of a good excuse to your crimes."

I forcefully pushed her inside. Maria growled in frustration and protested wildly, but she was no match to my strength. Normally I would not dirty my fingers of capturing the criminal, but she deserved the special attention because deep down I knew Maria is at fault.

The guards stood awkwardly behind me. Probably taken aback by my initiative and relieving them from the job they have been asked to complete.

"How can you do this, Edmund? Wasn't it enough for you to cancel our marriage? Now you want to publicly humiliate me? In front of all these people? Again?"

I stared at her coldly and watched as her fake tears rolled down her porcelain cheeks. There was nothing for me to explain. I did not want to make the bigger scene. It was enough as more people began to gather around and see the commotion for themselves.

One of my men locked the door. Maria looked like an angel trapped in the dark, suffocating cage. In some way, I enjoyed seeing her suffer. A payback for how much she has made my wife cry and lose the hope on life. I felt no compassion to my former fiancé no matter how much she tried to convince me to feel anything with her innocently convincing acting.

"Pray that our next meeting is short..."

"No! No, Edmund! You will pay for this! You will pay for everything you have done to me, how much you have hurt me!"

Her voice slowly faded as I moved to my own carriage.

I couldn't help but feel a little spark of hope and happiness invade my heart. I had Maria in my hands and it meant for Thea's soon comeback.

Thea's POV

Every morning I went to the dark forest to see if my road to home is available. There was so much of it... The water... Dark and never-ending, turmoiling streams taking everything in its way while on other places staying stagnant and depressing.

I wanted to go and fight against the current, surpass this obstacle, but I was not so stupid to put my child in such danger. Nothing will happen if I need to wait for a little longer. For how long?

A month has passed and only now I start to see that water is backing off, slowly though. It will be another month until the forest floor dries up for my safe journey.

My belly has gotten a little bit rounder, but not much. It warms my heart thinking of us having a child, who will grow big and healthy and will make our bond with Edmund even stronger. He will be our precious gem.

He? Why am I assuming it will be a boy? Maybe a girl? It's hard to imagine her looks. On the other hand, if it turns out to be a boy, I have the feeling he will look like his father and just like his grandfather.

I smile to myself because nothing makes me happier than the bright future that awaits us, all of us together and happy as a big, big family.

"Damn... Are you longing for home again?" Joseph's raspy voice brings me out of a daydream.

"I can't help myself. So many days have gone by. Sometimes I wonder if they are even looking for me? I know they do. I want to believe it, but... if not?"

"If they have loved you, then they do. It's hard to believe that they hold no feelings for such a kind soul as yours." Joseph's smile gleamed through his thick mustaches.

"I will make sure that the king rewards you for your help, Joseph. I would be long gone if it was not for you who saved me."

"Damn! Are you about the king and you being a queen again? I am not complaining. It is nothing bad to imagine ourselves at the top of the world." He chuckled. "Don't bother with me. All I need is already here. This is the place I have grown up and I want to stay here till the last day. I don't need the gems, money or what else not from your king."

In some way it saddens me, that this old man has to live so far away from civilization and spend his days in solitude, but if it is what he wants... Though I will not back off from my promise. After all, I am the queen and good people deserve to be rewarded at least with something.

"What name should I give to my boy?" I changed the subject.

Joseph was deep in his thoughts, a little bit depressed looking his eyes seemed.

"...Richard..."

"Richard? That's a good name!"

"Damn! Wha... what did you say my 'queen'?"

I laughed. "I asked what name should I give to my boy?"

"Damn! Boy? How do you know it is the one? Maybe a girl?"

"I am not sure. I just have the feeling it might be. As you said, I will call him Richard. A very noble-sounding name" I smiled at him happily.

He chuckled again.