18

I had dressed up in more casual wear than on other days. My outfit hold less accents around the edges, lacing on my sleeves looked rather plain. I probably appeared like a regular noble lady, but I didn't complain. The only remnant of my current status was the visibly expensive texture of the fabric - silky and sewn with perfection.

Edmund looked like his old self, back in his younger days. Today he had chosen to wear my gifted scarf, for which I was extremely happy. It really suited him, together with his dark blue jacket.

I watched his masculine contoured face reflect the afternoon sun. Edmund's dark hair were shining, few strands were taken by the wind and made him look as casual as we both were dressed.

I loved how messy his hair could get, but at the same time they always were keeping his whole appearance of a noble. They never looked or suggested he is from any other class.

I smiled, while he observed the surroundings of a grand castle looking structure in the middle of the city.

Deep down I tried to suppress the anxious feeling of the upcoming party and whatever Edmund had in store for me. He told me it's nothing serious at the moment and I pushed myself to keep positive look on the future and not worry about minor things.

I heard the carriage behind us leave and Edmund averted his eyes on me. He extended his hand.

"You look so ... fine today? Are you ready for a 'surprise'?"

"What do you mean by saying 'fine'?"

" I expected you to be little bit worried, that's all." Edmund flashed a subtle smile.

"I have to get over it. It will not help me moving forward."

"Hmmm!" My husband said nothing else, just squeezed my hand firmly.

Edmund guided me through the grand door, guarded by two well dressed men. Their black and gold attire captivated me and my eyes stayed on them little longer than usually.

The interior was built in the same style as our own castle. A grand stairway lead up to a second floor, the edge forming a wide balcony over the entrance hall. This place could hold hundreds of people if not even more. It was overwhelmingly spacious and it made my head spin.

Luckily Edmund's hold was firm, I felt safe.

"Who is going to attend the event?"

"Family friends, relatives and most of the upper class. Might be some other people too."

"It sounds a lot." I massaged my temple trying to release the tension. I could feel myself starting to get worried.

"You will get used to it. And.... to make you worry less, even I don't know all of them."

"Edmund!" I petted his shoulder strongly. "It is not helping."

No one was in the halls, just me and Edmund. Our steps echoed  through the wide corridors. The rooms were bright, with tall and wide windows, letting as much light as possible.

My husband opened the last door. It was wide, made of red wood and carvings of reared up Pegasus forming a familiar crest.

My fingers glided over their forms, it transported me back to old memories.

"It's.... your house... ."

Edmund pulled me away, deeper in to the room, but my eyes were still focused on the carvings.

"No. It's my grandmother's." He stated.

Against my will he smoothly moved me closer to other wall. I couldn't tell was it a mischievous smirk playing on his lips or was it some kind of spell, which made him look different? Silently my eyes scanned his features.

Edmund stopped, holding my hand in his. I couldn't understand what was in his mind.

Almost unnoticeably he dropped himself on his knee, moved his face down, while his one hand gently kept holding mine.

"I am at your service, my queen!"

For a second I lost my breath. I couldn't understand, why Edmund was talking to me like that. My confusion denied my ability to voice a word.

"E..Edmund?" I said silently.

He stood up and motioned for me to follow him. I didn't get far. As soon as I turned around, I was facing the most beautiful chair I had laid my eyes on. In fact, there were two, but my gaze stayed glued on the one right in front of me, just feet away.

I couldn't tell, was it completely black or the darkest shade of blue? Golden rims delicately accented every edge of the carvings. Was it made of wood or pure gold? In some way the chair looked menacing, but it's overall form was quite feminine.

"That's a place for you, Thea - throne for the upcoming night."

I glanced at Edmund multiple times in disbelief. Was it a reality or a unbelievable dream?

"Sit down." My husband said gently.

I did, as he said, I needed some rest for my weak legs. I could feel my hand tremble. It didn't seem real at first, but the touch from Edmund brought me back to reality, which made me realize, that this is what awaits me.

"Are you ever worried about such things?" I asked him with uncertainty in my heart.

"Not anymore. Now it seems like an annoyance, sometimes like a heavy burden to me."

Was it the reason Edmund disliked being a king, a ruler? There is no time in my life I don't think about reasons which only he knows.

"I care, how you feel, I want you to be happy. If there is anything I can do?"

"Don't worry about me." Edmund smiled. "I am fine and long accustomed to situation s like these. You on other hand think of it as a chance to get to know everybody at first. Some of them are quite nice people."

"What if they don't like me? Will they accept a mere slave as their leader?"

"They will have no choice. I refuse to go back, where everybody else dictated my life. Now it's my turn to rule, make my decisions and choose the person, with who I will spend my life with."