25

"You say, you care about Edmund, but why did you leave him there with that witch?"

Suddenly I remembered about Maria's existence. She is here. Why? I was ready to pull my hair out by the amount of stress and worries I experienced. The pacing back and forth through the empty room didn't help me to relax.

"Calm down, Thea. He is completely capable of handling her." Victoria made a small smirk. "She will regret her visit."

I sat down on a single chair, which was left in the corner of this lonely room. With sense of defeat I glanced at Victoria and the door behind her.

"How long are you going to keep me here?" I was waiting for her response, while other thoughts of Maria troubled my mind. "Why is she here? It's been a while, since she made herself noticed."

"I am not trying to keep you against your will. If you wish, you are free to go." Victoria opened the door in silence.

She waited and waited for my next move, but I couldn't get the needed courage to face my rival yet. I stared at the blank spot in front of me. I wished there was something to focus on – a small bug, sun rays playing through the window frame or a coin, but all there was, just a bare, boring wooden floor.

"I assume she is here to ruin your day, first of all. Second – to deliver some twisted message from her father. Manipulative as his own daughter. After the 'divorce' he has been a real pain for Edmund. He can't take the rejection from the king."

"What her father has to do with our problems?"

"At the moment, he is the only one who has refused to join and be a part of new Hadria. All because Edmund is not marrying Maria. He will not last long all alone in this land, in his small country." Victoria laughed sarcastically. "I just hope Edmund will hold himself together and keep his calm. He has been too patient for everything that has happened."

Thinking of Edmund bursting out in anger scared me. I believe it wouldn't be just a minor explosion of his negative emotions. He hates being the king, the life and problems it brings. Now my husband is at the beginning of this ordeal. What will happen?

"Also Maria is not an easy person. She will destroy all the nice things about Edmund. If she will get back in his life, it will turn to a very dark place."

"It will not happen." I said bravely. "I will not allow her to destroy the happiness of my family."

"Oh! So brave all of the sudden." Victoria made a mocking remark. "What are you going to do? Chase her away?"

"Stop it!" I could feel my anger rise up. I was so tired to listen the gossip from various people, who supposedly wished me good. It felt like they are trying to change my thoughts based on their own beliefs. Where the words they said true? Victoria, William – they all seemed to want implant these thoughts in my head, which are not mine, make me change my mind despite the opposite feelings I held.

For a second I thought, maybe the person visiting is not even Maria. I didn't see her myself. What if they are lying to me.

I took a deep breath in attempt to calm my nerves, but it didn't work.

"I will do just that."

For the first time, I could hear my voice being stronger. It held power and I didn't sound so fragile and shy.

Victoria or every other person in this new life were a mystery to me. I still didn't know their true intentions. Are they here to help and support me, ruin my life or just be and simply exist?

For my nemesis Maria, I have a clear picture – she is here to make my life a hell, something she couldn't finish before.

"Just don't come back and say I didn't protect you." Victoria's cold voice rang behind me. "I just tried to save you from the trouble."

Her voice slowly faded away. When I turned around to take the last glance at this noble princess, I saw her standing in the same spot with her arms crossed over her chest and an escorting me with intense stare.

Victoria made me feel on edge. There was something about this woman, that intrigued me and made me be aware of her hidden intentions – good or bad, only she knows.

The door to the main ball room was closing in. My heart was ready to break it's way out of my chest, but anger of her ruining my life with Edmund, was stronger, than the fear I felt to meet Maria again.

The last time we spoke, were at the time she sent me away – sold me.

I took two guards, who stood bravely by the door, it would be too dangerous to go alone and see, what dirty tricks she holds.

"I will need your assistance to escort somebody out of here."

They silently bowed and followed me close by.

The huge hall was deadly silent, almost no one talked. Maybe a couple of whispers broke free from shocked people, like ghostly wind the inaudible words passed my ears. Everything looked surreal, as if time has stopped ticking.

The front, where my and Edmund's throne was standing, a small circle had formed leaving only one person standing in the middle. No body saw me, their curious eyes were focused on the newcomer. I recognized Maria's sun white hair, her dress purest color, almost white. She looked like a bride in some way, but at the same time, her outfit was so much like of any other girl.

All I could see was her form standing between me and Edmund – an obstacle, someone who I should remove from my life, if I wanted my future to hold brighter moments and memories.

"Leave this place right now!" I said calmly, trying to hide my raging emotions.