39

I was afraid to face him. Spending night alone has made my fear of Edmund grow. Uncertain of his state after the last night. I was thinking over his uttered words, what they meant and what he had gone through, what changed him?

I know he has never wanted to be a king, rule this land. Take responsibility, which is put upon him against his will. He married me and it partly drew him back to the life he hated. I never asked him to be my husband. Totally satisfied my heart was just with Edmund's presence. I wished him happiness, I still do, with me or someone else. It was all that mattered to me. Like he said... He might have done a mistake...

The person who caused his temper to change knew what he is doing. Edmund's rage will destroy everything. And first to crumble will be his happiness.

Was it Maria again, who can't come to the peace with the current situation and choices Edmund has made?

... but Edmund said 'him', as if talking of a man. Her father? What kind of man is he? I have laid eyes on him only once, long ago when I was a child. He seemed a pleasant man, but from what I have gathered now, I might be wrong. Maybe he is just like his daughter - kind and loving from outside, but who knows what his true colors are like?

Feeling sluggish I slowly creeped out of the room I spent the night in. On the way to the kitchen, I met Violet.  She had not lost her anxiousness from the last night.

"Violet! What my husband is doing?"

She looked at me weirdly.

"Still in his room, my lady."

I was disappointed and relieved at the same time. I didn't want to meet him yet but was hoping my husband is better. It most likely meant it's not the case.

"Thank you, nothing else..."

She bowed deeply and went to attend her daily tasks.

I was hungry and followed my nose to the kitchen where aroma's of breakfast dishes lured me.

Suddenly I remembered about the girls I purchased and brought home. I had left them standing in the hallway for how long... who knows anymore? Where did they go?

"Has someone seen three girls, who came in last night?" I burst into the kitchen.

"I lead them to the empty servant rooms for the night. We were waiting for your orders, but your majesty didn't show up last night." Sophia was brave enough to break the utterly frightening tension in the room. I understood why they were afraid.

Edmund...

"Oh, thank God! I thought I had left them outside like dogs." I swiped the nonexistent sweat from my forehead.

"Your majesty, you can go to the dining room, the breakfast will be ready in the minute."

"I don't want to eat with anyone today. I will stuff up myself here."

I could see the wide eyes of numerous girls cooking.

All my attention went to my extreme hunger. I felt like I haven't been eating for a week. All kinds of thoughts about foods made my mouth water. Just the mere sight of ingredients drow me insane. I waited patiently as I could at the small table in the wast kitchen.

Two small hands placed the plate of pancakes in front of me.

"If you want more, my queen, say a word." Anna's childlike voice brought a small smile to my face.

"I will definitely have some..." I said with half of pancake already in my mouth.

Anna smiled innocently and run back to the stove to gather some more.

It was strange how much I could eat in one sitting this morning. Like a horse or a bear starved for weeks, my body craved more food.

"I miss you..." She said quietly after some time.

Anna's light blue eyes watched me sadly.

"Why is that?" I asked, but then stopped. I had forgotten how long it's been since I spent time with her or Sophia. "Owww, sorry. It's been busy for me. I hope to find some time to be with you." I gave her a weak smile but knew that I couldn't keep the promise with my busy life, where the girls wanted my attention constantly. I didn't complain, but now I realized that it lead me to forget about others, including Edmund. A painful pinch of guilt gripped my heart.

"Anna! Our queen is not obligated to spend time with servants. She has her own life." Sophia took her gently by the shoulders and lead Anna back to work.

Later that day my friends had come to support me when heard about Edmund's bad behavior from sources unknown to me. Margaret, Scarlet, and the most surprising reaction came from her cousin Cristina. I didn't know she cares so much about what is happening in my family.

"Where is Edmund? Maybe I can do something to make him feel better?"

"I don't know. I myself have not met my husband today. Truth to be told... I am afraid of his reaction. Maybe we should wait until the storm is over. He probably needs some time alone."

"What kind of wife are you? Leaving your own man in the state of misery?" She did not sound b

judging or upset, but in some way, her words offended me a little. From her point of view, it seemed I care less about Edmund than she does.

"I know better what he needs. Some time of solitude." I said in my defense and hoped it is the best solution for Edmund.

"I will go to check on him anyway if you don't. Can't leave a man alone like that."

She turned away, her puffed up dress swaying wildly in the process. Deep down I hoped he is doing better today, even though none of us has made an attempt to meet.

'He just needs some time to himself' I said to myself to make my worries disappear.