45

The beautiful dress I wore was ruined, dirty with mud. Above all, it was wet making me shiver in the cool breeze that managed to get through the thick trees.

It was scary and I wanted to get back home, be safe and sound, be next to Edmund. I began to cry. No one was here to see me nor judge me. In a dress or not, dirty it might be, all I could think about was to last another day.

The tears washed the dirt off my face when I noticed the pinkish-red stain to it. I examined my face with trembling hands - it seemed fine, until I reached the spot on top of my head, just above my forehead. The injury that Maria caused hurt bad, only now I noticed it's existence. Dried up blood and barely healed wound had oozed the streams of blood before, coating my face.

"What am I going to do?" I cried to myself.

Everywhere I looked, dark trees masked the world behind them. The raising of thick fog reminded me of passed souls coming up from the graves. I decided to stand up but soon after realized that it's difficult to keep my posture steady, my head was spinning making everything much worse and a lot more confusing.

I did not know where I was, where to go or whom to ask for help. Not a single soul seemed to be living in these woods.

With the help of strong standing trees, I moved forward. Step by step I could not see the end of the forest. It drained my hope for safety or for an escape of certain death.

I had not had the best education or lived in rural areas, but I knew that the forests swarm with dangers. Packs of wolves, bears and other dangerous animals are living here. The thought of them near scares me and I push myself to move faster.

There is barely any grass or mosses on the ground. Everything seems dead. The only sign of life is the long-dead leaves that have fallen from the treetops. That looks to be the only life as far as I had seen.

I walked for many hours in an unknown direction, I just followed my heart and intuition hoping it will bring me to safety. The dress was weighing me down and it made me more tired. I wished to get free of its weight, but what if someone sees me? It seemed like a foolish thought. With all the strength I ripped the top layer of the expensive garment dumping it on the mud-covered forest floor. Almost like the weight of the world had been lifted I could feel my legs, the fresh air, though it made me shiver in cold seconds later.  I tossed the useless pair of shoes in the dead bush behind me and sat down on the rotten log to take a breath.

I was tired and I wanted to sleep badly. Also, the thoughts of food saddened me. Here was nothing to eat. I will starve. Maria might achieve her goal and will take my place... I do not want that to happen. I had gone so far, had fought and endured so many things in my life. I can't give up. I can't leave my loved ones without saying a proper goodbye.

I can't help to hold my tears inside. I am hurt. My heart aches and I return to the depressing thoughts of reality.

My stomach can't stop gurgling.

If I would have something to eat...

Along with the dress, I had thrown away the gift that Margaret handed me.

It seemed like a ray of sunshine in this gloomy world. Cookies! I had cookies! I was beyond happy and crawled up to the discarded fabric. The soft bag they were in was wet as everything else, but I hoped that at least one of them is still edible. I opened it, my heart was beating loudly in anticipation.

I sighed seeing that each of them was wrapped up nicely in the shining paper that seemed to be keeping the water out.

"Thank you, Margaret, Scarlet! Thank you!" I began to cry once again, but this time from happiness seeing I might last another day.

They really looked like nothing much, the shape was uneven, but the taste was amazing - sweet with a little flavor of dried fruits and berries. I was so happy and for a moment I forgot the dreadful situation I was in.

I ate just one despite the hunger. I didn't know for how much longer I will be out here and when I will get my chance to have something else to eat.

My sight was set to the far distance. For a moment I think I thought the brightness of the sun seeped through the branches, but I missed my imaginative fantasies. For some time I tried to catch the sun rays again. I looked like a mirage suggesting there might be an opened field beyond.

My curiosity got better of me and without registering I felt my limbs carry me in that direction. More light came in view until the trees began to spread out and I could see colors eat the grey world away.

It was a field, green lush meadow - wild and untouched. My heart springs into happiness and I moved faster. I could not believe I am getting out and the thought of meeting somebody enlightened my heart.

There was nothing there, only grass and more forests beyond the meadow. My heart sunk and I dropped on my knees in despair.

"Damn animals! Can't spare anything for a hard-working man!"

I heard something grunt or growl, I could not tell. It sounded like an unknown animal, but I could hear glimpses of recognizable phrases as if it was a human being who talked.

"Hello! Is anybody there?" I was tiptoeing trying to see anything through the tall grass.

"Damn! I think I am starting to lose my senses!" There was a long pause. "Grace, is it you?" It was not a shout, but low, raspy mumble.