50

Days went by and my anger and frustration grew. I have confronted so many people, locked them in cells, but none of them is willing to give any information or knowledge about Thea.

Today is the day I will face the last remaining suspect for which, I feel, will bring some conclusion. I have managed to take everyone unnoticed by others, no rumors have spread nor regular citizens have sniffed out trouble in the royal house. For how long I will be able to hide the fact that our queen is lost?

The gut feeling tells me Maria knows things. Though she has left us alone, I know her well that it doesn't sit right with her seeing us together and in power.

I have informed her father about my arrival, hiding my true intentions behind the subjects of business. She knows I meet him often and will not suspect anything until it's too late.

Though I can hardly keep my emotions in place. Above all I really miss my wife. Sleepless nights, worries. I am ashamed but there are times I want to cry and free myself of this sufacating feeling inside my chest. Nothing can help me do that except the presence of Thea.

My carriage us ready, with no time to waste I get inside and the long road to Maria's apartment begins. It's a short trip but today it feels longer, seemed like hours tick by so slow as never before.

The city looks boring. Same people walk here everyday, the same faces, which are eager to get the glimpse of my own and most importantly that of my wife. My future is inevitable, no matter how hard I try it brings me back to my roots - the role my ancestors unwillingly put upon me.

The apartment house she lives in is enormous. Light stone sculptures decorate the walls which seems to support the structure. Tall, arched windows let in the bright daylight in usually gloomy rooms. The interior is light and very lady like as well, but it brings this emotion whenever I am inside. Everything there belongs to Maria and it tortures my being. I hate her and I dislike to be the one to confront her today. I wish this is the last time we see each other.

I stand in front of her white double door where golden framing encloses the carved wood. The beating of my heart deafens the sounds around me. I want to calm down, but the anticipation of some useful clues circles through my mind and troubles my soul.

"It's an honour to see you today, our majesty." A maid let me inside motioning for me to go deeper in these sufacating rooms. "I want to inform you, that my lord will be late, but he asked to forgive him and wait a little until he arrives."

Her head was low and eyes set on the polished wooden floor. She did not remind me a maid, but gave a wibe of an oppressed human - slave.

"No problem. I will be waiting." I replied coldly.

At that exact moment Maria walked in front of my view. The pinkish fan hiding her face slightly and the white dress made her almost disappear in on the white colored walls.

"May I provide you my company?" She sang her sweet words.

I was ready to blow up, but hold myself down. She always managed to bring out the worst of me.

"That's what I was expecting."

"Hmm..."

I could tell she was pleased with an outcome.

"My King..." She gestured for me to go inside the living room.

I gave a judging glance before I walked passed her.

The room was blinding white. The walls, the furniture, even flowers on the table were in light colours. I could say it looks like heaven, but I know the devil lives here.

"You know, I am glad that my father is coming late. I am missing your company and he is not here to disturb us." She eyed me with dreamy eyes. "Do you want something to drink?"

"Have you seen Thea?" I had no time to engage with her in insignificant matters and conversations.

Maria stopped breathing for a second but then relaxed and smiled innocently. I would be a fool to believe her innocent appearance, if not known her for years and her deceiving nature.

"Has something happened? Did she say something to you? Got angry? Cried to her death? Or... maybe finally run away from you?"

I could sense the venom seeping through each of her word coated in honeyed sweetness.

"You would wish that, wouldn't you? She would never leave me."

"Awww! You are so sure about yourself." Maria stated. "I would be gone given a chance after experiencing your tantrums and your severe anger issues. I bet she is gone for good to have a better life without you, my dear husband." Maria's lips carved the wide smile on her doll like face.

I smiled inwardly, but couldn't keep the slight grin appear on my own face. I knew I am losing my sanity and ability to hold my emotions in control. I was sort of happy for what is about to come upon her miserable existence.

I stood up towering her small form, took hold of her arm and pulled Maria on her feet not letting go of her. "Come with me!" I managed to keep my voice calm and low. She had a slightly surprised expression, but my main suspect had no idea what is about to come.

"Where are we going?" There was a hint of suspicion in her voice. "You know, you could be a little bit more gentle, may I request?"

Maria was right, I felt it too, slipping out of control and following the urges to my emotions. My fingers dug deep in her upper arm as if afraid to let her go and give her a chance to get away from a punishment awaiting this woman. I did not care how much I hurt her. She has done things far much worse and I have the feeling she has done something to my Thea as well.

I will find out the truth.