Chapter Eighteen

"I don't have a good feeling about this," Damien told Nick

"I don't have a good feeling about this," Damien told Nick. He was sitting on the chair by Nick's desk while Nick sat on his bed, eating the breakfast that Damien had brought. "They told me not to see Trubel this morning, and I don't know why."

"Did anything happen last night?" Nick asked him in his cop voice. He was investigating the situation, trying to figure out what was going on.

"No," Damien answered. "We just sat and talked for a while."

"About what?"

Damien shrugged. "She said she didn't trust me-"

"Which makes sense," Nick pointed out, looking suspiciously at Damien. Like Trubel, Nick had also put together the fact that Damien's attitude didn't match his job description.

"But like you and me," Damien said to Nick. "Trubel and I decided to pretend that we trusted each other instead of starting fights."

"Is there a reason that would upset Reichardt and Griese?" Nick asked.

Damien shook his head. "They weren't upset when you and I made the same deal." Damien stood up anxiously and ran his fingers through his blond hair. "What are they doing?" Damien asked himself.

"I'm not going to be able to help unless you tell me what you know," Nick warned Damien from his seated position on his bed.

"I told you; you know everything that I do," Damien reminded Nick, sounding frustrated. "Griese works for the Reapers, Reichardt worked with Black Claw. They created an alliance to kill and control Grimms, but to do that efficiently, they have to know more about them. And that's why you and Trubel and the others were being studied instead of killed right away."

"And once they study us, we're dead," Nick finished.

"Unless you decide to work for them," Damien corrected. "At least, according to Reichardt."

"Does that mean Miles was a prisoner here at one point?" Nick asked Damien.

"I'm not sure," Damien answered. "But wouldn't that explain a lot?" There was a moment of silence before Damien blurted out, "That doesn't help us figure out what's happening with Trubel right now."

"Can't you ask someone what's happening?" Nick asked.

Damien shook his head. "No one tells me anything. The people here aren't happy that I talk to people like you."

"Isn't that your job?"

"Yeah, but it's one that they wouldn't be able to do. The fact that I can means that-"

"You don't hate us as much as they do?" Nick guessed.

"Something like that," Damien admitted as he stared at the wall. Nick couldn't read his face and was, therefore, unable to see if Damien didn't hate him as much as the others did.