Chapter Seventeen

The guards threw Trubel back into her room and left her handcuffs on, guessing that she was more dangerous now that she was upset

The guards threw Trubel back into her room and left her handcuffs on, guessing that she was more dangerous now that she was upset. They were right. If she had a chance of doing any damage, she would have beelined for the Rißfleisch without hesitation... But she didn't have a chance while handcuffed and surrounded by five additional guards, so the journey back to her room was uneventful.

When the guards left Trubel alone, she crumpled on the floor next to her bed. She tried to hold back the fresh round of tears she felt coming on, but eventually, she didn't have the energy to keep it up, and she let the tears run down her face. Trubel had her legs pressed to her chest. She would have been hugging her knees, but since her wrists were pinned behind her back, she was only able to set her forehead on her knees to bury her face while she cried.

That's how Damien found her when he came into the room. Trubel looked up at him and regretted that she wasn't able to wipe the tears off of her face; she hated looking weak.

Damien was holding yet another tray of food that had the same contents as the one that Trubel had thrown at the wall. As Damien thought of it, he looked at the corner of Trubel's room and noticed that someone had already cleaned up the mess. He then set the tray on the desk before walking over to Trubel and wrapping one of his hands around her arm to pull her to her feet; it made it easier for him to unlock her handcuffs. When that was done, Trubel wiped the tears from her cheeks and crossed her arms. Unlike the other times where the action made her look moody and stubborn, the arms across her chest made her look weaker like they were the only things holding her together.

"What do you want?" Trubel asked Damien, forgetting that he had decided not to talk to her again.

Damien said nothing but pulled a piece of paper from his pocket.

If Trubel had read it, she would have seen, "Nick is okay. I took him to Lexi. He doesn't blame you at all and thinks you saved his life by telling the others that he knew where the book was. He's worried about you. Are you going to be okay?"

But Trubel didn't read it. She took the paper from him, crumpled it into a ball, and threw it in the same corner she had thrown the tray of food. "Get out of here," she commanded him. She sounded angry, but it looked like she was going to lose another battle of trying not to cry.

Damien didn't move from where he was standing. He eyed Trubel with concern.

She wasn't happy with him. She walked up to him and got in his face. "I realized today that I'm never going to see my friends again. And Nick is going to die, probably in front of me," Trubel said. Her voice cracked with sadness. "And it's my fault. It's my fault that he's even here." Damien's face twisted with pain and guilt while Trubel suddenly began sobbing again. "You and your friends have taken away everything I've ever cared about." Trubel backed away from Damien and held onto the bed frame while she doubled over and sobbed, "I've lost everything." She sunk down to her knees. "And all I want is for you to talk to me," she cried.