Eleven: 2707

Harvey

"So, she actually texted you?" Eric asked.

"Yep!" I said, proudly beaming a smile on my face as I wrapped my hand around the leather wheel.

I pulled in the alley and pressed the remote to open the gated garage of the condominium. It was a pricey unit to rent, but the location was everything. It was one of those high rise buildings facing Lake Michigan on Sheridan Road. The condo was just a walking distance to Loyola University, restaurants, cafes, and the beach. It was nothing like Hawaii, but Chicagoans considered lake Michigan their beach.

Eric pulled out a cigarette and lit it up the moment he stepped out of the car. He tossed the box of natural American Spirit and lighter in my direction before I could even close the car door.

"Here. You need it more than I do," Eric said as he inhaled in the nicotine.

The two objects landed in my hands without fumbling with it. I took a stick out and lit it up, joining him as we leaned against the trunk of my batmobile. We both smoked in silence.

"Vzzt...vzzzt...vzzzt"

The sudden vibration in my back pocket broke the silence.

It must be her.

I kept my composure and pretended like I wasn't eager to check my phone. But, who was I fooling?

Eric turned his head towards me as if he was waiting for me to reach for my phone. Instead, I focused my eyes on the burning point of the cigarette as the ashes slowly crept its way to the filtration zone nestled in between my fingers.

"I can't stop thinking about her. It's weird." I said, puffing the smoke out of my mouth.

"What's so special about her? I mean, don't get me wrong, I think she's pretty damn cute. But there's a lot of other girls out there," Eric pointed out.

I thought of a worthy answer. He was right about her physical feature, but there was something else about her that hit me hard. Something about the way her curvy body moved despite her shyness and awkwardness towards us earlier, or the way she kept suppressing that smile as she looked down on her feet every time she caught me staring at her, or when she finally let go and showcased that smile on her face. Damn. That smile. And something about the way she let me look into her. Without having to say a word, it felt like an invitation, like she wanted me to see her.

"To be honest, I have no idea." I lied.

Eric raised his eyebrows, unconvinced. He knew me well enough to know that there was something more.

"Well, I think she's into you, too. So, go for it!" Eric advised as he inhaled the last of his cigarette and dropped it on the concrete.

"What's there to lose anyway?" He added as he stepped on the cigarette bud and headed towards the elevator, leaving me behind as I muttered, "nothing."

"Hey! Pick up after yourself! You know we're not even supposed to smoke in here," I tried scolding him, but he kept his back on me and dismissed me with a wave of his hand, not giving a single fuck.

I bent down to pick up his mess before anyone saw us breaking the buildings' No Smoking policy in the garage. I had recently moved in and I didn't want to leave any bad impression, or worse, get fined.

We quickly ascended to the 27th floor as the elevator dinged and the door swished open. I stepped out first with Eric following my lead. When we reached 2707, I placed the fob to the metal box on the door. Instantly, the security lock made an audible clicking, which was my hint to twist the knob open.

I walked into a white marbled floor hallway into an oversized kitchen a few steps to my right. The unit was newly renovated with white marble countertop, complimented by the gray accented cabinets and stainless steel appliances. It was a shame that I barely used this kitchen.

Eric darted straight for the fridge.

"You want one?" he asked, holding up a can of Bud Light.

"No, I'm good. I'm going to bed," I said as I walked straight to my bedroom, passing an empty carpeted living room.

I knew needed to buy furniture for the condo. It wasn't like I couldn't afford it. I just kept putting it off. I grabbed a sleeping bag from the closet, a pillow and change of clothes for Eric.

"Thanks, bro," Eric said. "You sure you don't want any?" He asked after taking a sip daisy cutter and placing it on the carpet next to him.

"Yeah, I'm good. Goodnight, man."

Normally, I would join him for a beer or two. Maybe play the strings and work on the songs we recently came up with. But tonight, I wasn't in my normal state. I just wanted to be alone with my phone.

I changed out of my clothes, leaving my body bare naked except for the boxer I was wearing. I grabbed the phone from the back pocket of my pants and hopped onto the bed.

Finally.

Two new notification welcomed my sight as my phone came back to life.

Ally (10:58 pm): Home now. Safe and sound.
Ally (11:17 pm): Well, goodnight Mr. Hughes.

I pressed my thumb on her number. A window popped on the screen. Create New Contact.

"Ally—" I typed in her name, but I left the last name blank.

It was almost midnight. I fidgeted on the bed, turning from side or side. I scrolled up and down the screen, reading our conversation over again. I should have taken that last text as a hint, but I had no self-control.

My thumb found it's way over her name and an option appeared on the screen. Before I could stop myself, the ringing tone echoed in my ear.

The heat was building upon my head. My scalp tickled with moisture. I felt like a ghost rider with his skull on fire.

I sat myself up, back against the black wooden headboard. My arm rested its weight on my knee.

The phone was still glued on my ear. It rang and rang. A never-ending call. It was a sign for me to hang up. It was time. Feeling defeated, I bowed my head down in between my knees.

The sour taste of rejection filled my lungs. A heavy sigh escaped me. She was already asleep. Why was I disturbing her?

"One more ring," I said, defending my patience.

One more ring.

"Trrrt—" and the calling tone was cut off with a breathy and croaky "Hello."