Twenty Six: Smash It

Ally

"So, what's on our agenda?" I asked as we got ready to leave his unit. I slipped on my shoes while he gathered his keys from the counter.

"I'll let you know once we're in the car. I don't want you backing out on me now." A mischievous smile planted his face.

"I wasn't even worried then, but now I am. I should definitely back away from this." I joked as we entered the elevator and he hit the P button.

"Don't even think about it," he said, interlocking his hand with mine. "I've got you in case you try to run away," he reasoned.

An instant heat spread throughout my body. That familiar tingling sensation began to creep on my scalp. My pores expanded and the moisture began to surface on my skin. It made me nervous. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy it. I liked it. Very much. But I wasn't used to it. This public affection. I felt guilty.

I knew I shouldn't have. I wasn't doing anything wrong. But if others saw me, saw us, they would think otherwise. They didn't know the whole story. Nobody does.

"Is this making you nervous?" He inquired, a sincere look filled his eyes.

"I'm not used to it. Or maybe it's the guilt." I confessed.

I hated how I trusted him with the truth. At the same time, I liked this version of me. Never have I had the nerve to even spill out my unfiltered thoughts to others. At least not like this, not this easily. Not this soon.

He placed his index finger under my chin. As he lifted it up, my eyes that were once fixed onto the floor of the elevator were now captivated by him.

"Fuck them."

My pupils dilate from the shock and realness of his words. But a relief escaped my chest. He was right. Fuck them. I shouldn't feel guilty. I've dealt with guilt long enough. I didn't have to explain myself. I didn't owe anyone anything. Not anymore.

I nodded and mustered a relieved smile. His hold on me remained strong, as if he was still trying to protect me from my own thoughts. The elevator opened up to a concrete room full of vehicles. A beep escaped the black Audi. He released my hand as he walked ahead of me. I cocked my head to the side as he went to the passenger side and opened the door for me. So chivalrous.

"Thank you." I smiled and hopped in the car. He shut the door and walked around to the drivers' side. The engine roared to life as he pressed the On button.

"So..."  I began my inquisitorial remark. But he cut me off.

"I promised it's nothing crazy," he reassured.

"You did say dinner," I stated and he smiled to confirm. "So, I shouldn't expect dinner to be anything crazy, right?" His smile turned into a grin. Something else was up. "Or should I?"

A chuckle escaped his lips.

"Harvey!" I protested.

"What?" he laughed and shook his head at my desperation. "Relax. I promise you'll like it. You'll enjoy it so much you won't stop thanking me."

"I love food. So, yes, I will most likely enjoy dinner. But you're scaring me. Am I even dressed appropriately for this top secret plan of yours?" I scanned my outfit. I prayed to God it was nothing fancy.  I was wearing a blazer and closed-toe sandals to top off my jeans and silk top. But, I would rather wear a nice dress for a fancy dinner.

"You look beautiful, as always," he reassured, pressing his hand on my thigh. The thin fabric of my jeans was a pathetic barrier between our skin. My core ached as the muscle on my thigh flexed, craving the heat of his touch. A shiver radiated from down south all the way up to my brain. Thanked fucking God I didn't wear a dress then.