Twenty One: Music

Harvey

"So, you mentioned that you play the guitar?"

I nodded in response, cocking my head slightly to the side from her attempt to change the subject. But this was a topic I definitely enjoyed talking about.

"I don't exactly know when I started, but it had been imprinted in my life for as long as I could remember. My uncle was a recording artist and was a big influence on my love for music. He actually taught me how to play the guitar."

"You mean he was actually like a celebrity?" I nodded in response. "That's pretty cool." The interest was painted all over her face. I liked that her expressiveness was finally showing.

"You could say that. But for me, he was always just Uncle Bill," I answered humbly.

We were interrupted by Ashley, who placed two glasses of the Irish stout in front of us. Ally's eyes sparkled with excitement and I couldn't help but smile at her eagerness. We ordered our entrees and Ashley left us to ourselves.

"What type of music do you listen to?"

"Just about any genre, depending on my mood. I can't do anything without music. I listen to it as soon as I wake up, when I shower, get ready, eat, drive, study. You name it. It's my escape from this world," she answered with excitement.

"That seems unfair."

"Unfair?" Her forehead wrinkled, puzzled by my remark, "I don't understand."

"Keeping a beautiful and interesting person like yourself out of this world for others to discover or have the pleasure to meet seems a bit unfair, don't you think?" I explained.

She chuckled, "that's a bit corny for a guy like you to say. Do you use that line a lot?"

"Did it work?" I teased, a grin spread across my face.

She rolled her eyes at me. So fucking cute. I could sense her feistiness and I couldn't wait to test it some more. "I meant what I said."

"Yeah, sure. But I'm really not all that," she brushed off my compliment as she rolled her eyes, again.

That was strike four. Every time she rolled her eyes, I wanted to teach her a lesson. If she kept at it, she was going to be in big trouble.

"You are a hard one to please, aren't you?"

"No one should be easy in the first place. Where's the fun in that?" she explained.

"That is one hundred percent true. Speaking of music, I would like to play and sing to you one day."

Twinkles appeared in her caramelized brown eyes from my offer. "I would love that."

"What about you? Any hidden talent?"

"I play the very basic chords. Sometimes, I sing."

"Have you ever performed before?"

"Me? No way!" She puffed instantly. "I choke when I sing Karaoke in front of family or friends. Imagine me performing in front of a crowd. I would probably piss my pants before the song would even start."