Twenty Seven: Surprise

Ally

"Harvey," I placed my hand on his arm as he drove out of the garage. The car came to a stop as he turned his attention towards me.

"Ally," he replied, waiting for me to continue.

I didn't think this through. I wanted to tell him how thankful I was for such an incredible experience. I wanted him to feel the lightness I felt in my chest after his surprise. I wanted him to see how happy I was at that moment. But all I could manage was to say his name out loud.

I kept my smile from ear to ear. "I'm hungry," I lied. Then, I turned my smile upside down, mimicking a sad face with my frowned lips.

A burst of laughter escaped his inviting mouth. His eyes glistened as he shook his head in amusement. "Damn, you're too fucking cute."

"It's not funny," I whined, forcing my eyebrows to meet. I tapped on my belly. "My poor fats," I said, comforting the rolls on my abdomen.

He reached for my hand and slid his fingers in between mines. "I could kiss you right now," he warned as he slowly leaned closer.

I squeezed his hand tighter, stopping him. "But my babies want to be fed," I complained like a child and redirected his attention as I squeezed the flaws on my abdomen.

"You probably think this is the worst date ever. I didn't mean to starve you like this. But we're on our way to pick up the food," he explained.

"Food?" My eyes lit up at the mention of the word.

"Sorry, I should've planned this better."

The concern and guilt in his voice left a sour sensation in my stomach. I wasn't as hungry as I whined to be.

"Wrong. Tonight started out so good. It was definitely a surprise. I'm just eager to know what's next."

"You really don't like to be kept in the dark, huh?"

"You have no idea."

"I am a man of my word. Just bear with me a little longer. I'm just hoping not to disappoint you at the end of the night."

"I'm definitely far from being disappointed. So far, you're at seven out of ten."

"Well, I intend to hit a double digit tonight. Maybe even triple."

"Oh, you're such an overachiever," I playfully slapped his arm.

He mouthed ouch as he rubbed his victimized arm. He pulled over and pressed the hazard on. "I always meet my goals," he reassured before opening his door. "I'll be right back."

I nodded and stayed put. I watched him sprint  towards the restaurant across the street. A few minutes later, he came out with two bags of take-out food. The moment I inhaled the aromatic scent of the food seeping through its container, my mouth instantly salivated.

"Oh my God. That smells so good!" My eyes fired up with hunger.

"We're almost there," he said as he drove off in the opposite direction from his condo.

"Oh. So, we're not going back to your place to eat this?"

He shook his head. "Bear with me," he pleaded.

"Whoops! I forgot. No more prying. I'll shut up now." Aware of my lack of self control, I covered my mouth with my palm.

"No, keep talking. I like listening to you. Just no more questions about tonight cause I don't know how much longer I can resist you."