XLIII: The past

★——————★——————★——————★——————★——————★

I sat down in the open seat next to Midoriya as All-Might continued on.

"As I mentioned, One for all cannot be transferred. It cannot be stolen by force, but it can be transferred by force,"

I cocked my head, "Uh... I'm sort of confused..."

All-Might looked over to me, "I mean you did walk in during the middle of the conversation but you didn't need to hear the beginning anyways,"

"Okay..."

"Continuing with that, One for All was derived from a certain quirk that existed in the past,"

"A quirk that existed in the past?" Midoriya said.

All-Might nods, "The name of that quirk is 'All For One'. A quirk that could steal quirks from others and make them the holders and one that can give quirks to others. There was a chaotic period that started years back. He thought he was able to unify all the people but... for the evildoing. He stole quirks from people and with his overwhelming power, he spread his influence. He moved people in a crafty way, committing immoral acts to his heart's content. For short, he became the leader of the evildoers and ruled over Japan,"

"Wait, how does this relate to One for All?" Midoriya said, looking confused.

"But, how does this relate to my past?" I mumbled.

All-Might got up from his seat and walked towards the window looking outside, "I said that All for One could give quirks to others right? He made others trust him or surrender to him by giving them quirks, but there was too many given quirks that they could not bear the burden and ended up turning into rag dolls, like nomu,"

I flinched, remembering that thing and what it did to my father. I clenched my hands into fists.

"Meanwhile, there were also quirks that changed or mixed once they were passed on. He had a quirkless younger brother that was used for his own pleasure. He forced a quirk that could stock power onto his younger brother..."

Midoriya gasped, "Don't tell me..."

All-Might nodded, "He was thought to be quirkless but there was something inside him. Something that neither he nor those around him noticed. The quirk to stock power mixed with quirk to pass on quirks... is the origin of One for All,"

I was still slightly confused on what this had to do with my past, but I continued to listen. From the corner of my eye, Midoriya looked shocked, but I feel the same way.

"Wait! I understand this but why are you bringing up an evildoer from so long ago now?!" Midoriya said, standing up in his seat.

"He can steal quirks, you know," All-might said, walking over towards us, " The younger brother decided to entrust his quirk to future generations. He believed if he couldn't win then if he slowly cultivated the power. Then, when it was my turn, I was finally able to defeat him, or so I thought," he stopped and looked down at me, frowning, "Young (y/n), you may not remember the entire event, but it was something I witnessed. I lacked the power to protect everyone and somehow the younger you ended up being targeted because of your quirk," he looked at my right side.

My eyes grew wide, "What...?"

"A once peaceful day turned into a nightmare for those children and you. You made it out with just a scar but it was more than a scar. That man tried taking your quirks away for his own good. He knows how strong they can be, but in the end, he failed to do so because I was only able to stop the majority of the problem, until... it somehow got out of control. The outbreak happened and--"