Chapter Forty - Return To Glory

Magsimula sa umpisa

"You're Mortal," Galadriel chided, ruffling his hair. "Flying is for Dragons. Without wings, you're stuck to the ground."

King Arthur and Sir Leonard met their party as they entered Merlins Keep, guiding them up to their suite.

"Thank you so much, Arthur," Briar Rose cried, overjoyed to have them all staying in the Castle. "We all get to be so close! Did I tell you that I have siblings?"

"I did see that mentioned in your letters," he admitted with a grin.

They talked for the rest of the night, going over what to say to the Dragons the next day.

Galadriel was the main speaker, as she had once been the Princess of the Court of Royal Wings. With her brokering a deal, mentioning that Rumpelstiltskin was dead and gone and that the treasures of Merlin and the original Knights of the Round Table were recovered, the Dragons decided that they didn't want to attack the Mortal world anymore.

The rogues who had joined up years ago were okay with following rules as long as they got to live in peace, deciding that they didn't want to strike out on their own again.

They signed a treaty with United Magic Defense Force agreeing to leave the Kingdoms around the Great Peaks alone. 

Once that was done the Kingdoms signed a treaty with King Arthur, asking for his continued assistance in manning their borders with the Knights of the Round table. Having discussed the matter at length with them, they agreed to help protect the people of all of the lands.

Alagils newest Royals, a merchant couple that had survived the Curse because they took their money and position to help the poor villagers who were homeless, we glad to become official allied with Whitewater.

A huge ball was thrown to celebrate the union of all of the Kingdoms.

Briar Rose did admit that she was apprehensive of going to a Ball. Her first one hadn't turned out so well.

"Don't worry," Julia assured her as she fretted outside of her suite. "This is Whitewater. We won't try to sacrifice you."

"Thank you," Briar Rose sincerely meant it. After learning who she truly was, she hadn't felt comfortable staying in Alagil. Her Godmothers knew the ever-present danger to her life and urged her to go to Whitewater, as she had genuine allies there. 

They were at the Royal Court in Alagil, helping train new Curse Breakers and managing the protective spells around the Kingdom, a full-time job that made them all very happy.

Briar Rose patted the sides of her blue dress, wondering if she should change into another color as she looked at herself in the mirror.

"You look wonderful," her mother assured her, stepping around the corner of the closet. "I thought the pink one would be lovely but that blue makes your eyes stand out."

"Okay," she relented, hoping to stand out. "Thank you."

"I like how you did your hair. Wearing it down is becoming of you. It makes you look older."

"Really?" Briar Rose patted her hair, blushing.

"Try to give it bigger curls, so highlight your cheekbones."

As they were getting ready to meet old and new friends, Briar Rose finally felt like she belonged in Merlins Keep. It was hard telling people she was the lead Curse Breaker in Whitewater and Alagil when they saw how young she was.

"I didn't really earn the title," Briar Rose admitted as she sat before the vanity, her mother helping curl her hair for her. "My spell didn't work properly. I passed out and then I woke up later that night." 

Galadriel frowned, perplexed. "And you sealed the spell with your blood?"

"I did. I took the Curse into myself so anyone who was good in their hearts could live."

"Someone removed the Curse from your heart," Galadriel realized. "A Dragons Curse doesn't simply fade away."

"But...does that mean someone else is Cursed in my place?" Briar Rose cried, horrified. "Oh no! I hardly knew anyone at the Ball! Oh, I do hope the Princess can become good one day and cared for enough to have someone free her. Then that nice person will wake up to live again." 

"If you set that rule, it shall be." 

Galadriel tucked a curl being Briar Roses ear, smiling down at her. "You showed more compassion than I did. Over the years I felt guilty but I never did go back to alter the Curse."

"I think that everyone deserves a second, or third, chance." 

Sir Leonard knocked at the door, guiding them all down to the ballroom.

King Arthur was greeting guests, smiling at each person who arrived.

He waved as soon as he spotted them in the crowd.