Chapter Twenty Eight - Cursed Document

Copyright Ⓒ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

"I'm going to clear a spot outside to break this document open," Briar Rose stated, looking her companions in the eye. "Whatever is in here is connected to the Dragons." 

"You just said that the claw is Cursed to kill anyone who touches it!" King Arthur argued. "Send it to your Coven so that they can break it. Surely guarding Skyfort can't take up all of their time." 

"I will break the Curse," Briar Rose argued, realizing that she was holding what might be the only clue to the Dragon who had Cursed her. 

Lucinda had said the Dragon was married. They knew they were farmers of some sort. The farm next door was a Mill, where they had grown grain and turned it into flour. The wife had magic and she possessed an artifact with a Dragon claw! 

How could someone from the middle of nowhere get an item like this? While it was true Briar Rose could not discover how old the item was, she didn't think this was a mere coincidence. 

"You could die messing with that Artifact!" 

"I have to break it open!" 

"No, you don't" Arthur stepped forward, closing the box with the gold documents with his foot before pulling it towards him. "The King and Queen will have to handle this on their own. Just because they ordered you to train to be a Curse Breaker doesn't mean that they own your life!" 

"Give me that box!" Briar Rose yelled, rising to her feet. "I don't care about the King and Queen. I am breaking that seal!" 

"What's the point of proving yourself to a Royal Court that you have no intention of serving? You could have been declared a Lady yourself and refused. You could have signed on with any Lord or Lady in Alagil and you refused. 

If you don't care about the King and Queen, why are you risking your life over this Cursed claw and document?"

"That is none of your business! Stop asking so many questions!" She shouted, throwing her hands up in the air.

"That's rich coming from you," King Arthur laughed. "You question everyone! I had to spend days answering your questions."

"That was to break your Curse!" Briar Rose exclaimed. "Give me the box. Now." 

"No." 

Briar Rose lifted her hand, intending to wrap King Arthur in a body bind, only for silver to flash across her vision.

King Arthur has drawn his sword. EXCALIBUR gleamed in the low light, the etched name barely visible.

Briar Rose froze, recognizing the name from some of the books she had read while staying in Merlins Keep.

Arthur had mentioned that he had a magic sword that had defeated nations. He never told her it was Excalibur. Crafted by Merlin, it was impervious to magic. In fact, the books claimed it could block any spell or Curse.

She looked up, meeting Arthur's eyes.

Sir Leonard backed away slowly, getting clear of the room.

"That is a very stupid thing to die over," he growled, his face livid. "You've broken a lot of Curses. None of them were like this. Let a coven handle it."

"I won't die unless you run me through with that blade," Briar Rose argued back, equally angry. 

"I'm trying to save your life!" King Arthur shouted, losing his temper. "This sword is to keep you from grabbing the Cursed artifact!"