Chapter Thirty Eight - Decision

Copyright Ⓒ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

"She didn't want to risk making the Curse worse or spreading it," Arthur admitted. "Nor did she want to allow the Royal Court to continue to abuse their power. Earlier today, when she was at the spindle that controlled the Curse, she attached herself to it, making herself a sacrifice to free anyone involved who would use their position to protect the commoners." 

"When she did that, we had no choice but to bring her into the Throne room. She attached herself to Curse, but she wasn't named in it. Between that and her bloodline, we thought that she would be safe from the effect of the Curse. 

We thought that, if she were crowned, the Curse would approve of her and absolve itself. Then, later on, the real Princess would be able to take the throne and Briar Rose would be free to live her own life.

The Queen wanted to cut out her heart and use it to break the Curse, as a Dragons heart is the base of their power. We couldn't agree with that.

That's another reason of many for us raising her by ourselves in the woods. Before we left Skyfort we cast a spell over the Castle, making it be no blades would be able to harm her within these walls."

Lucinda sighed, leaning against the tower's wall. "We tried to help her. As a Curse Breaker, she would be one of the most respected people in the Kingdom. The High King and High Queen would never waste such talent.

If we had told her the truth, she might have agreed to help. Instead, we lied through omission, leading her to believe that she was the Princess so that she would be scared and use her own will to survive to break the Curse.

We never imagined she would sacrifice herself. We were able to alter the Curse before to save everyone's lives and expressly help Princess Emerald.

However...Briar Rose isn't the Princess and she made her alteration under that assumption. We couldn't get her to reverse it. There's nothing we can do to awaken her on her own."

"The Curse has to be lifted in the manner we and Briar Rose designated," Niall explained, seeing the outrage on King Arthurs face. "And then some. Briar Rose didn't know that she's half Dragon and being half Dragon did influence the intent of her spell. 

She made it clear that a good person has to grant forgiveness and in that hearts acceptance, the Royals would be given redemption.

She meant a good person, but, with her power being what it is, it must be someone with a pure heart to forgive the High King and High Queen for their crimes, wanting the Princess to rule over the people."

"That's it? Someone grants those monsters forgiveness and Briar Rose will wake up?"

The three old women looked at each other. "We don't know," Dolphina admitted. "Briar Rose put herself into the Curse without her name, on the assumption she was the Princess. She intended to be the center of the Curse and redirect the magic into herself."

"That means that, as she is not named or referred to in Galadriel's original spell, the Curse doesn't know what to do with her.

The Curse would have to be completely eradicated for her to wake up. The Royals need to be absolved and accepted into a pure heart irrevocably."

"What does that mean? Isn't saying I forgive you enough? Isn't letting them go with their heads and their lives proof of intent?" King Arthur yelled in frustration. "If you want to say something be forthright!" 

"You are correct about proof of intent. Letting one live when they have committed such atrocious crimes would normally be enough. However...this Curse has now been acted upon by two Dragons. A Dragons power is based in their heart. Therefore, we can surmise that only the greatest of redemption can break the Curse, as it will alter the heart of the afflicted.