Chapter Three - The Wheel Of Fate Keeps Turning

CopyrightⒸ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

It took a whole year for Gustav Miller and Queen Galadriel to make it to the base of the Great Peaks. By the time they got there Galadriel was healed, although she never did regain her full strength.

The Royal Court of Wings received her letter. When the Royal Guard came down, Galadriel and Gustav both said goodbye.

Except the Royal Guards didn't open up ranks and invite their Queen home. They delivered a letter from the Central Chamber stamped with the Royal Court of Wings crest.

King Rumpelstiltskin had decreed the previous Princess Galadriel, who had never been crowned Queen, a traitor for deserting her post the night before she was to take responsibility for the three kingdoms and had graciously run for election of King, winning the post for his centuries of honest labor in the good faith of the kingdoms.

He had also brokered a peace treaty with the Rogues, ending their warfare with the relentless wandering warriors.

The Head of the Royal Guard told her to return to the Mortal World, for all that met her in the Royal Court of Wings was death by public execution. The Dragon she spoke to was an old family friend who knew the politics of the Court well.

Having been elected, Galadriel would have to challenge Rumpelstiltskin for power. She wasn't as powerful as she used to be while Rumpelstiltskin had changed the laws, having Dragons once again feast upon Mortal sacrifices given by the closest villages, boosting his power.

Her enemy was stronger than ever before and she couldn't even fly anymore.

She would die fighting him if she ever made it that far. Truth be told, many families in the Royal Court of Wings had turned as dark as their new King and would kill her to prevent her coming from power. Mortal blood made them strong and they were loath to give it up.

Her loyal protectors gave her back her letter, bidding her return home. The Courtier promised to keep her a secret and hoped to one day see peace returned. Until then, there was nothing they could do.

Heartbroken, Galadriel turned away from her home.

Gustav, having had much fun in their year-long adventure to the base of the mountains, asked her to stay with him for more adventures to come.

Galadriel had grown fond of the Mortal who saved her life and risked his own to help both of their people.

And so, when they made it back to his village the next year, they got married at the little white church in town, content to live a peaceful, quiet life together.

All was quiet for the first week.

Then a militia inquisitor came, declaring that Gustav was in serious trouble. His grain, which was supposed to have gone to the military per his contract, hadn't been delivered for the last two years.

Incensed, Gustav contacted his neighbor, who claimed innocence in the matter. After all, where was the contract to show Gustav Miller had left him in charge of his resources?

No, Gustav had simply been a hermit for the last two years. He must have gotten sick or ran off with the money he had.

In his haste to save the Mortals and Dragons, Gustav hadn't been thorough with the matter of his estate.

Owing to a great deal of money and not able to prove he had been gone, he was facing criminal charges the next day at noon if he could provide neither funds nor two years worth of grain.