Chapter Five - Royal Feast

CopyrightⒸ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

"What manner of business is this?" Galadriel commanded of the Head Guard before the Skyforts Inner Gates.

"A celebration for the King Henric the Third and Queens Victorias' firstborn," He answered, standing before the doorway. "Of that, you must be aware. It's been the talk of the two Kingdoms for months."

"I heard rumors of a coming party but didn't realize this was it. I have been locked up too long. Stones are dreary. I need open air and fields to clear my head."

"I can agree with that," he sighed, looking up at the massive walls.

"Sir Lyle," Gustav began, greatly troubled. "Why are there people outside of Stonesteeple?"

"They must be celebrating the birth of Princess Emerald."

"They were begging for food."

"Begging? Food is to be shared equally today, by the High King and High Queens command."

"Shared equally?"

"Yes," he admitted, rubbing his chin. "The rations were increased for this week, to make sure every table was full. And every meal must be held outside. Those were all part of the Royal Decree."

"How can there be rations? We didn't have those under the last war."

"Food must be stockpiled and preserved for the coming war with the Dragons. Soldiers collect from the farms and mills at the end of each season."

"Why does the castle not ration? I saw trays of food in the back hallways, far from the party."

Sir Lyles' men's stomachs growled at the mention of food, though their faces showed no emotion.

"That...is to be expected for a celebration of this magnitude. We will join in the feast later after our shift is finished."

"How can there be rations when the people have enough gold to buy no less than 10 years worth of food per household?"

Sir Lyle and his men burst out laughing at such a preposterous idea.

"Wheresoever did you get such a ridiculous notion?" He asked, wiping his eyes. "The people have no such money."

"I made a contract with King Henric the second of Alagil, the previous King, and his son Prince Henric the Third also signed it, consenting that the gold I made was to go to every household between Alagil and Brightstone as funds to sustain them during the war with the Dragons.

Why else would I have spent two years locked in that place spinning straw to gold every night?"

The Guards looked shocked.

"High Queen Victoria said that was your payment to the Royals. High King Henric the Third agreed that you owed the Kingdom of Alagil and Brightstone for the trouble or bringing us into a new war."

"Never! We only warned them of the danger! I have a copy of the contract with me!" Gustav shouted, pulling it out of his pack.

Pale-faced, Sir Lyle read over the document, jaw tight as he looked behind him to the steep walls.

"You Millers have been kept in the dark, and I don't just mean the basement," He murmured, staring into their eyes. "Much has happened in Skyfort in the last two years. Brightstone has spread their influence and, after the old King passed away, their way of thinking burrowed into the heart of Alagil."