Chapter Twenty Four - Knights of The Round Table

Copyright Ⓒ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

"You did it!" A woman cried as soon as Briar Rose entered the Formal Dining Room. The woman before her was tall, with light brown hair and bright green eyes the color of olives. The fine wrinkles around her face were charming and didn't make her seem old, although that might have been because she was smiling. 

"I'm back! We're all back!" The cheers that filled the kitchen were indeed human, as were the hugs that squeezed the air from Briar Roses lungs. 

She was tired and wanted nothing more than to go to sleep, yet the atmosphere was so jubilant that she couldn't bring herself to walk away. The laughter was the most delightful thing she had heard in months. 

When champagne was passed to her she respectfully declined, wishing to simply have water to help with her headache.

"Sorry," she admitted, rubbing her temples. "I'm tired. Is it alright if I join the party later?" 

"Of course," Sir Leonard stated, clapping her on the shoulder. His voice was unmistakable even though the rest of him had turned into a tall, lean man. "Come down whenever you're ready Curse Breaker." 

She slept for a whole day, recovering from the exhaustion of the past few weeks and Curse Breaking.

When she finally awoke, Merlins Keeper was delighted to tell her that Prince Arthur had invited her to a meeting in the Throne room after she had woken up and had a meal. In the Kitchen, she found a short man, a wiry man busy at the oven. 

"Victor?" She asked, "Is there anything in there I could eat?" 

"Of course, of course," he exclaimed, waving a hand. "There is plenty of fresh fruit. If you wait a moment I can make you something." 

An hour later she walked up to the war room, feeling delighted with how the whole situation had turned out.

The Throne room was covered in gold and silver filigree, the carved stone standing out in beautiful contrast to the brightness. Prince Arthur was at the throne to the far left, which was shorter than the two thrones on the middle of the dias and slightly taller than the throne on the far right.

Almost three months into her stay in Merlins Keep, Briar Rose had never seen anyone use the Throne room.

Inside, Prince Arthur sat to the throne on the far left, the Knights of the Round table assembled on either side of the aisle with the rest of the Castle staff in the seating area directly before them.

He was tall, with light blond hair and blue eyes. He didn't look as old he had alluded to. At most, she expected he was in his late teens.

Surprised by that revelation, Briar Rose stared into every face, noting what each person looked like.

"Curse Breaker Briar Rose," Prince Arthur stated, his voice filling the empty hall. It wasn't a greeting; it was a statement.

"I, Prince Arthur of Whitewater, extend to you the honor of Knighthood. By my decree, you shall be known as Lady Rose."

Startled, Briar Rose hesitated, not sure how to respond. Being knighted was an honor. But...for it to be a legal decree, bound in the contract and sealed with magic...

"I'm sorry," she admitted, looking down at her feet. "I'm afraid that I can't accept that offer."

"What?" Prince Arthur asked, frowning down at her. "This is an honor that is bestowed with the utmost faith in your integrity."