Chapter Thirty - Stonesteeple

Copyright Ⓒ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

Briar Rose stared at the shabby houses and shops along the main road in Stonesteeple. The windows in the stores were only half stocked. Stalls were half full. 

All around people went about their business, not bothering to look at the incoming party. With her Curse Breaker medallion, Briar Rose had gotten their party and their three horses into the city.

Riding along the right side of the road, they watched the state of Alagils capital up close. Briar Rose felt her heart sink at the poverty-stricken people out on display before Skyfort. 

Each tower, the tallest Briar Rose had ever seen, cast shadows over the city in the morning light, as if grasping hands were reaching out to the people below. It made her want to turn Lance around and fly out of the front gates.

King Arthur and Sir Leonard were going to stay with her until her birthday when she would finally enter Skyfort. That was were their group parted ways.

To get in Briar Rose needed to use Gold Thread, a simple feat for her with the spell her Godmothers had taught her.

She could have shared the gold, except she knew the rules. The gold that she made wasn't to be shared in case of something when wrong with her Curse Break, or if anyone else tampered with it.

That was what her Godmothers stated.

She also knew it was illegal to make and distribute gold. Her parents had decreed that it made Skyfort unsafe, as anyone who bought some could sneak in. Lucinda only taught her so she makes her way into her rightful home.

They stopped at an Inn along the way, a good distance from Skyfort so that they could have some time to train Briar Rose. As her Birthday was also her coronation, Sir Leonard knew that there were many matters of diplomacy and etiquette that she needed to study.

Contrary to what her Godmothers wished, Briar Rose wanted to learn about matters of the state so she could help people. She didn't think it would trigger the Curse unless she had an opinion that was malicious to the public if Galadriels letter was a good indication of how she still assessed the Mortal world.

Her time for Curse Breaking was up. There weren't any cases for her to handle that wouldn't interfere with her attendance to her sixteenth birthday party and coronation, so Briar Rose spent her days studying with King Arthur and Sir Leonard, filling a good number of notebooks with important information. 

It helped distract her from the fear of what may happen to her on her birthday.

"What happens at a coronation?" she asked one day, wondering what to expect at Skyfort. 

Sir Leonard leaned back in his chair, tapping his chin thoughtfully. "There is a large party in the countries Royal Court. Many other influential figures may be in attendance as well even though they don't hold an official position within the state. 

Everyone dresses to impress with the best clothes and shoes to show their honor for the event and the incoming Royal.

The Throneroom will be filled with your guests on either side. You walk down the aisle, make your oath and sit on the throne where you receive the crown and take the formal oath for your Kingdom.

After the coronation, everyone goes into the main ballroom for your celebration. 

Chefs make the best and most popular dishes of the country, serving them on trays circulated throughout the party. It's best to keep your conversation light. Matters of the state can wait until your in a room with the people who can make changes or prevent changes from happening.