Chapter Twenty One - The Path You Walk

CopyrightⒸ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

"Instead of getting angry at me for not telling you everything," Prince Arthur calmly explained. "Why don't you consider the way the Alagilian Royal Court is treating you? I didn't tell you anything because I thought you would never actually attempt to break this Curse. 

If they expect you to try to break their Curse and survive, they need to be honest. Like walking a sheep to the slaughter," he muttered, shaking his head.

"The war age is low so they can recruit the highest number of bodies possible. I wouldn't send fifteen-year-olds to war or have them facing down the strongest Curses in the land alone. It's cruel."

"And what would you do if your life was in danger? Those people are fighting for their lives right now! If a Dragon was attacking Whitewater would you fight it? How old are you, Prince Arthur?" 

"I'm old enough to be a real grown-up. And my deciding to fight would be my own decision, not forced recruitment. That's a big difference."

She had been forced to study magic because she had the Gift. It took up most of her time. Sometimes she hated it. Other times magic was incredible. Was it cruel that she was being forced to risk her life to break Curses on the order of the High King instead of doing...something else with her life?

Briar Rose hadn't thought about it like that before. Her whole life was magic, magic, magic. It was all she knew.

"Everyone I talked to said you were a kid when the Curse struck ten years ago. That means that you can't be more than twenty-four." How could someone so young be so...wise? He thought more than most people she had encountered. His mind was like an old man, the way he put himself in other people positions, thinking about how life must be for them.

"Maybe I am." Prince Arthur admitted. 

"He isn't," Merlins Keeper stated, appearing in the doorknob behind Prince Arthur. 

"Will you please be quiet?" he asked, irritated. "I am indeed young," he added with a glare at Merlins Keeper. "Most of the elected kings wherein their Thirties and I am not. 

However, we have limited options for rulers right now and, when I refused to surrender, the people decided to keep me as their Prince and let me give orders even though I have not been coronated as their King."

"Why you?" Briar Rose asked, the question coming out before she could stop herself. "There are other members of the Royal Court here who would have been elected that were grown up and experienced. Why aren't any of them in charge?" 

Prince Arthur didn't say anything for a long moment. When Briar Rose gave up and turned back to her books, he spoke up.

"I'm the last direct descendant. While blood does not guarantee the throne, it can help. The first King of Whitewater, who made us an official nation with founded borders, was King Arthur. My namesake. After my parents were murdered, the people wanted something familiar. Someone they could have hope in."

"So they let you lead because they hope you'll be as great as the first King Arthur was?"

"Yes. I studied diligently and listen to others to understand what they've been through, learning from their experiences. If I want to rule fairly, it makes sense for me to hear the people and know what they need help with.

I also read quite a lot, since I can't go outside of the Castle. Merlins Keep has two extensive libraries; the one we're in now and the Royals private library. I think that I've read almost every book in the Castle."