Chapter Fifteen - Expect The Unexpected

CopyrightⒸ 2019 by B. R. Bailey All Rights Reserved

"Here we are," Sir Leonard wheezed, his chest heaving despite his frequent stops to comment on the architecture and history of Merlins Keep, where he was able to catch his breath and recover his energy as they went to each area of the Castle open to general guests.

Briar Rose knew they had walked and climbed at least a miles worth of distance between the hallways and staircases, often cutting back across ways they had come in from before.

"This will be your room," with a gracious bow, he put his arm out, standing back upright and turning on the heels of his back paws smoothly to push at the door. Briar Rose could tell from the thickness and elegant carving of the door frame that this was different than the closet downstairs, which was of new lightweight construction.

Amazingly, the door opened with a whisper of air, gliding backward. Stepping into the room, she glanced up, wondering if Maddie had entered and opened it up like she did the front door.

Nothing was over the door and, as she walked further into the room, she realized that no one was in there either.

"As the first female guest to enter," Sir Leonard stated, walking in after her, "You have the first room on the right of the second floor. House rules," he explained, lifting a paw. "I'm afraid you can't have another room. This is the only bed Merlins Keep will allow you to sleep in."

"The Castle...chooses its guests rooms?" Briar Rose asked, goosebumps breaking out over her skin. "It can tell where I am?"

"Yes, Merlins Keep is sentient," he confirmed. "You won't find another Castle like it in the entire world."

Sir Leonards chest puffed out with pride as he looked around the room. "Merlin spent years creating this magic and perfecting it. I doubt anyone else could replicate it today."

"I doubt any Royal today would let a Castle operate outside of their express control," Briar Rose muttered, carefully studying the walls and floor for spells.

"Indeed," he quipped, his little eyebrows raised. "This Castle was created not just for King Arthur, but for the people of Whitewater. Should they not elect to keep a person in power, Merlins Keep tosses them out."

"Elect?" Briar Rose asked, not sure what he meant by that.

"It's a rather strange system," he admitted, pushing back and jumping up onto the desk chair before climbing onto the desk. "You see, a person can be elected by popular demand of the people within our major twelve cities to the Royal Court or be voted in by at least twelve standing members of the Royal Court. Every member of the Royal Court is eligible to be elected as the Ruling Royal Family if they have met certain criteria. They get ten years of power before the election is held again."

"Wait, wait, wait," Briar Rose commented, sitting down in the chair to sit face to face with Sir Leonard. "Your Royals aren't Royal? I mean..."

She ran a hand through her hair, thunderstruck. "The Royals aren't dictated by blood?"

"Not entirely, no. Being born into a family of the Royal Court helps increase the odds of being elected though it is not a guarantee of power. Sometimes one family with have a member sit on the throne for decades and, when they retire, a different family is elected to rule, even if that member competed against the previous King and Queen's child."

Her mouth hanging open, Briar Rose felt her mind explode like an overfilled lantern. Gathering the shards, she tried to piece together a coherent thought.