Chapter 13

Pitch's POV-

   I slept, while sitting at Fiona's window seat. I couldn't help but watch her for a little, she's just so... Peaceful when she sleeps. But I just woke up, to Fiona sitting beside me at the window seat...

   "Did you sleep ok?" She asks me, more worried than confused. I thought she'd want to know why I slept here.

   "Yeah. Did you?" I ask her, not really sure what else to say. She shakes her head, yes.

   "Why did you sleep here?" She asks me, worry and confusion clear in her voice and expression. I knkw she'd ask that, she probably thinks I'm a creep now. "I mean, it's not that comfortable. Is it? You would have slept better in your room, on your bed. Right?" She asks. Wait, she was just worried about me sleeping well? This is... New?

   "I slept fine, don't worry." I tell her and she relaxes a bit, not as worried now, I hope. "Want to do something fun today?" I ask her and she looks at me confused.

   "Like what?" She asks me, curiosity clear in her eyes.

   "We could go ice skating, you've never done that before." I tell her.

   "Um, sure. As long as you don't laugh at me if I fall every minute." She says, a little sarcasm in her voice and I chuckle.

   "Can't make any promises." I tell her and she roles her eyes while trying to hide her smile. "Why do you do that?" I ask her. She looks at me, worried and confused. She should be worried, she doesn't want to answer this.

   "Do what?" She asks, quieter than usual.

   "Hide your smile. Every time something happens that you would smile at, you hide it. Why?" I ask her, I have to know so I can fix it. She looks at the ground, her eyes barely open and her eyes look darker.

   "I, I don't know..." She says, her voice deep and hushed. I know she's lying, her eyes are darting between the floor and to the side I'm not on.

   "You do, you just won't tell me." I say and she glances at me, worry clear in her eyes and biting her bottom lip.

   "Lets just go ice skating. Do you have any skates?" She asks me, trying to change the subject. I know I was pushing her but I wish she would smile, a real smile.

   "No." I tell her, letting her change the subject for now.

   "Then how will we skate?" She asks, a hint of sarcasm in her voice.

   "I don't know. Barefoot skating, sock skating? Ice is slippery." I tell her, smiling and hoping she'll smile back. She doesn't.

   "True, let's try it." She says, faking a smile that could have been real if she let it. She walks out of her room and I follow, of course. "Um, where are we skating?" She asks me, her cheeks reddening as she stands right outside of her room.

   "The pond, the one- Nevermind. We'll go to the lake on the other side of the woods." I tell her, regretting the decision to skate. I hadn't thought about the place being where she... I am never going there, neither is she. That is one of the reasons why I don't want her living in the woods, especially alone. I walk in front of her to lead the way, she has no idea what lake I'm talking about. She never had enough time to go too deep into the woods. She follows, keeping a distance. Why is she keeping a distance? I choose to ignore it, telling myself that there's no reason for it but knowing that there is.

   We reach the lake faster than I thought, time flies when you're lost in thought. I turn to face her, to see what she thinks of it. Her eyes are wide, not in shock but in admiration. Her lips are parted slightly and she's slowly walking closer to it. I was hoping for this reaction, for her to like it. It's dark out still, it's four in the morning though. The new white snow shines, sparkles and the lake's ice glows as the light hit them. The grass has tiny ice crytals, swaying with the wind and the snow still falling completes the sight. Her eyes are sparkling like the snow and her cheeks are red, her hair is flowing with the light breeze and the snow flakes in it make it seem even more as a dream. Her warm breaths turn white and cold as it passes through her pink, full and snow covered lips. There are only a few snowflakes on her lips, making them seem to sparkle as well. Her eyelashes are catching the smallest of snowflakes, her blinking is slow, rare even as if scared to lose the sight in front of her. She's so beautiful, I have to admit it now. I mean, I've been staring at her long enough to think of every detail. She doesn't seem to notice, luckily. Her eyes dart to me, to my eyes.