Season 2: Chapter 9

Why, oh why, did he always seem to find himself out of luck when it came to confronting the angered woman alone?

 No Akio.

Just him, by himself, and at the mercy of the Ookami beauty in front of him now.

To say he was scared was probably stretching it, but he did know he was in deep trouble (something he was regularly finding himself to be in). He knew that if he tried to play dumb or suave even, that he’d only make it worse. It was still a damned if you do, damned if you don’t kind of thing as he also knew that if he didn’t act at all, then he’d still be as good as a can of dog food for a starving wolf. Now, he couldn’t help but give a small inward chuckle that was soon followed by a sobering sigh, at that thought.

A light breeze blew by that gently ruffled both his and Hisayo’s hair as they now stood in a small clearing just to the east of the Hokage’s Mansion. Earlier while in the building of the Hokage, she had stopped him in his tracks with just the simple order, had grabbed him by the collar of his vest, and led him out of the building. It must have been quite the sight for those they passed on their way—to see Kakashi, The Copy Ninja, being pulled away in such a manner, like a child in trouble. He was very thankful to be spared any more embarrassment as she released him after they exited the building, ordering him to follow her to where they now stood, a few feet apart, staring at each other in silence.

“I’m not sure where I should begin.” Hisayo finally broke the silence, “To start with what I just heard at that meeting and what you just agreed to subject Naruto to, or where you’ve been seeming to avoid me recently…”

With his hands in his pockets and standing in his usually aloof posture, Kakashi gave Hisayo the laziest, most laid back look he could give, despite how tense the atmosphere felt, “I can explain.”

“It had better be good.” Hisayo let her tone of voice express her irritation, “If I find that I wasted a better part of five days being avoided because of black cats or grannies with groceries crossing the road, then you can bet that your face will be seeing and feeling the cold, hard ground.”

“Okay…dust bunnies.” Hisayo’s eyebrow twitched, “Seriously…” Kakashi said, matter-of-factly, though it was really all just another excuse, “My house was full of them—took almost an entire week to get the situation under control.” The vein pulsing on Hisayo’s forehead made Kakashi lean back with a nervous, apologetic expression on his face as he held up his hands, “Sorry…?”

Hisayo let out a sigh in defeat as she crossed her arms and looked away with a saddened and disappointed expression on her face, “Look, if you’ve decided that you don’t want to be my friend anymore, then all you have to do is say so instead of making these ridiculous excuses. It wouldn’t be the worst way I’ve been told. In fact, coming from you, it’d be the most polite rejection I’ve had…”

Damn, he felt like such a loser just then, “It’s not that, Hisayo. I doubt that you’d be able to understand what’s really been bothering me lately—well, for a long while now, if truth were to be told.”

Hisayo tilted her head back to face Kakashi with a raised eyebrow in a curious manner. Kakashi was always the type to keep things such as problems or worries to himself. Given her sharp, animalistic senses, she could usually tell right away if he was feeling stressed or other; like she had been feeling from him a lot the past few weeks, even before Naruto and the other Genin came into the picture for him. The sound of guilt in Kakashi’s voice just then, made Hisayo swell up with worry as she wasn’t sure if the sound of guilt was for giving her cause to worry over their strange relationship as friends, or if it was in regret for what he was about to say that might ultimately end in their friendship after all.