Chapter 23

It was early in the morning when Hisayo and Kakashi reached their destination. A temple surrounded by many tree covered hills stood before them. Several monks stood at the temple stairs to greet them.

“Ah, you have arrived. Please, right this way. I will show you to your room after meeting with our Grand Master.” A young monk around the age of seventeen spoke. He bowed respectfully, as did the handful of other monks, before leading the way.

A few minutes later they were sitting on mats before the head monk of the temple. He was a bit of an elderly man with graying eyebrows and a shaved head like all of the other monks. An old walking cane lay in front of him. His eyes were closed in a light smiling manner.

“I welcome thee, Leaf shinobi.” He humbly spoke as he slowly opened his eyes.

Hisayo tilted her head an unnoticeable degree as she observed his pearl grey eyes. Kakashi also noticed the condition of the elderly monk.

“This is Grand Master Masahiro.” The young monk introduced.

Hisayo hadn‘t seen or known of a Grand Master such as this man before her. “Grand Master? But he is-”

“Blind? Yes I am, but don’t let my blindness fool you, kunoichi. I can still keep up with you young ones.”

“He is still Grand Master for a reason, lady kunoichi. He may seem like an old and out of shape man, but he is still the strongest of us all here.” The young monk from before whispered to the two shinobi. 

“I heard that, Kazuya.” Came the light, scolding voice of Masahiro.

The young monk now known as Kazuya froze in his seat with a gulp. He had been heard…again! He thought for sure that he had whispered in a much lower voice than the many times before, but still his comment was heard.

“Gyah! G-grand Master Masahiro, my deepest apologies!” Kazuya bowed in an apologetic manner.

“When will you ever learn?” The old man chuckled.

Hisayo had to admit she was impressed by his sense of hearing. His hearing was probably better than hers and Akio’s put together.

“Here are the prayer scrolls for the ceremony.” Kakashi carefully set the sack containing the scrolls in front of him.

“Ah, good. As for the guarding, will you two really be enough?”

“How do you know there are only two of us?”

“I just know.”

“Alright, well to answer your question, yes. Hisayo-san and I will be enough. Right, Hisayo-san?”

“Yes, we will. You won’t be disappointed.”

“That’s good to hear. Kazuya here will show you around the premises and then to your quarters after.”

“Thank you, Grand Master Masahiro.” Kakashi and Hisayo bowed before standing to leave with Kazuya.

After they left the room, the blind master frowned and gave a thoughtful “hum”.

“What’s the matter, Grand Master?” One of the few monks that stayed behind in the room with their Master asked in a concerned voice.

“That kunoichi…she has a strange chakra signature.”

“Is that bad, Grand Master?”

“Just be wary of her.”

“Yes, Grand Master.”

******

“You are to address his leadership as ‘Leader-sama’ and bow in respect!” The man positioned near the young leader ordered.