Chapter 2

A pair of golden eyes woke from their dream world and stared up at the slowly brightening world. It was early morning and the forest had already started coming to life. The fire from last night had dulled down to nothing more than a smolder, but that was alright. The sun was beginning to warm the atmosphere and coax a body to slowly lift out of a sleeping roll.

Long white hair cascaded down the back of the young woman who sat up. She stretched and gave a small yawn before continuing to sit in her sleeping roll, trying to fully wake up to the morning.

A few moments passed and her gold eyes scanned the campsite, first drifting to her pair of kodachi resting next to her, then looking over to the other side of the now dead fire. A sleeping roll was neatly packed and leaned up against a tree. She had been so deep in her sleep that she hadn’t heard any noise that her companion had made.

‘I need to stop doing that’ She thought to herself.

The last thing she needed was someone to sneak up on her and attack her in her sleep. Even though she had the watchful eyes of her sensei, she didn’t want to have to rely on him too much.

“Good morning Hisayo. I thought I’d find us some breakfast this morning.”  A voice from behind Hisayo greeted warmly.

“Morning, Akio-sensei.” Hisayo returned the greeting in a calm and slightly sleepy voice. She hadn’t turned to face him though. She was still trying to wake up fully and shake the lazy feeling from her body.

“Not yet awake are we?” He asked as he handed her a loaf of bread and canteen of water.

“I was…dreaming” Hisayo looked down at the food, recalling those events in time. It happened so long ago, but she could still see it as though they happened just yesterday.

Akio raised his eyebrows in wonder. “Oh? And what were you dreaming of?” He took a seat near his sleeping roll with food in hand.

“It was more like a memory of when I first met you sensei.” Hisayo remembered what Akio looked like then.

Unlike the low ponytail he wore now, his black mane of hair was let loose, wild to do whatever it had wished in the past. His style of clothing however, had changed little since then.

“You seem to be deep in thought over there. Something the matter, Hisayo?” Akio brought the bread to his mouth and took a bite.

“Not really. Just thinking of how little you’ve changed since then is all.” Hisayo simply said as she finally rose up out of her sleeping roll and began eating.

“Huh? What do you mean ‘how little I’ve changed’? Don’t tell me you’re tiring of your old sensei.” Akio chuckled. 

“No. It’s just the thought of how long ago that was.” Hisayo blandly stated before quickly drinking the water in the canteen and packing her sleeping roll away.

Akio’s thoughts drifted to that point in time as well; thinking of the starved and frightened little girl he knew then and comparing her to the young woman she was now. Sixteen years it had been now since he took Hisayo under his wing. Wow was he getting old. He sighed deeply and scratched the back of his neck.