Season 2: Chapter 8

Start from the beginning

Hisayo flinched back and her face felt warm in embarrassment; he had known the whole time she was following him, but how? She was sure she had kept her presence well masked.

“Well?”

With a big nervous knot in her stomach, and with a fluttering feeling in her chest, she decided to come out of hiding, flickering into view behind Kakashi with crossed arms and her head turned away.

“I wasn’t stalking.” She denied, “And how did you even know that I was following you in the first place?”

Kakashi turned around to face her with a closed-eye smile as he pointed to his nose, “The nose knows—or has it slipped your mind that I have a very reliable one?” He teased.

Hisayo gritted her teeth as she turned her head to face him and respond back with a comment of her own, but stopped; seeing the blood stains on his vest that confirmed he had been hurt. The rip across his vest looked more serious than she had first believed to be, but she had made sure to keep herself at a great enough distance away to keep from being sensed or seen, so she could see how she could have misjudged it.

She leaned in to get a close look at the bandaged wound—she could tell as the white bandages—or what could be seen of the white anyway—were visible due to the ripped clothes. Her nose twitched as she continued to smell the blood, knowing that the wound was still relatively fresh.

“Don’t worry, it’s just a scratch.” Kakashi said with a light carefree tone of voice after seeing Hisayo lean in to get a better look at him.

Hisayo’s head jerked up and her sharp eyes look to him, “Who says I was worried? I was simply curious as to what happened to get you that ‘scratch’, which by the way, wouldn’t smell so strongly of blood if it were.”

Kakashi let out a small chuckle, very much used to the way Hisayo expressed her hidden concern over him. “Alright, alright, just calm down. Let’s go inside and I’ll explain.” Kakashi stepped to the side and put a hand to Hisayo’s back to lead her inside, but quickly pulled away when she flinched. “What’s wrong—are you okay?”

“Fine, just a little sore there is all.” She replied as she entered the apartment.

It was Kakashi’s turn to be concerned as he closed the door behind him, “What happened?”

“Nothing—I just got back from a mission a couple of days ago.”

Kakashi’s eyes narrowed at Hisayo’s smooth downplay of the situation, “Does Akio know you’re hurt?”

“Yes, he knows and it’s just a scratch…or two,” Hisayo mumbled but was quick to get back on track, “but they’ve already healed over and like I said, I’m just a bit sore...”  Kakashi frowned, upset that he hadn’t been able to tell of her condition, but saw the logic of why he couldn’t. Unlike himself, her wound was closed with no traces of blood left for his nose to catch.

“Now stop over reacting—you’re sounding like Akio.” Hisayo then scolded as she sat down, careful not to lean back into the sofa. “Sit down and let me look over the wound. No doubt you’ve skipped out on a hospital visit.”