CHAPTER TWENTY

STEVE'S POV

Three days of court hearings and neither me nor Bucky have been called to the witness stand yet. I don't completely understand whats going on but I can tell that every time Bucky walks in here, he gets more withdrawn.
Finally, today he's been called up to the witness stand but I can see him shaking and on the verge of tears with regret and fear in his eyes. He fears this smug prick sitting at the defence table and he regrets not taking the option to just Skype.
Bucky recounts everything that has happened since he met Brock a couple years ago, right up until DC. Then, he breaks down in tears. I can't do anything from where I'm sitting but I see his lawyer look at me then he walks up to the judge and they talk.
"Mr Rogers, you may sit with Mr Barnes at the witness stand but no talking, is that clear?" The judge finally tells the court, the lawyer nods to me and I run over to the bailiff who leads me to a spare seat next to Bucky.
I pull my boyfriend in for a hug, rubbing his back until his breathing evens out. He sits up better in his seat and I can't help but wipe his face with my shirt sleeve.
When I'm done, he turns back and continues where he left off. He still shakes and has to pause every so often but he eventually makes it through right up to when I was taken and hurt.
Both lawyers ask him a couple questions, then I'm told to recount what happened after he was raped and what happened when I was taken. They both ask me some questions as well then we're told to go back when neither have anymore questions for us.
My mum is called up once again as she was treating Bucky. She's been called up along with his parents each day yet and it's a bit confusing as to why but they take it in their stride.
The two of us take our seats and Bucky ends up with his face in the crook of my neck, sobbing hard. It was hard enough for me to recount what happened but for him, it would be a million times harder. I want to throttle Rumlow but I keep my composure and comfort my boyfriend because I know conflict is what that bastard wants.
Throughout the rest of the proceeding, that bastard is just laying casually back in his chair with a smug smirk on his face.
But thankfully, the judge orders a recess while the jury goes and discusses their verdict.
Bucky and I sit on the steps in front of the courthouse by ourselves while our parents talk to the lawyer. I can't seem to calm Bucky down much but I do manage a little.
"Hey," Someone says gently, I look up to see a kid our age with dark glasses and a blind guide stick standing in front of us.
"Are we in your way?" I ask, quickly noting he's blind. He laughs and shakes his head 'no'.
"No, I just wanted to tell you, when I become a defence lawyer, I'm never going to represent someone like him." He tells us, and finally Bucky looks up, with a slightly confused look on his face. "And, one way or another, justice will be served to him and for you. I've been listening up on your case. You're very brave."
"Thank you...?" Bucky sounds as confused as he looks, it'd be adorable if he hadn't been crying so much.
"My name's Matt Murdock." The kid holds out his hand and we both shake it. "I have a feeling you're going to win this one. The evidence of what he's done to you is astounding, not to mention he's being a smug prick."
"Oddly, that makes me feel better hearing a total stranger say that." Bucky laughs as Matt walks off. I can't help but agree with him on that.
The bailiff comes out not long later and calls everyone back into the courtroom. I've heard that sometimes these things can last weeks, even longer occasionally but for Bucky's sake, I hope today is the end of it so he can finally move on.
"Have you reached a verdict?" The judge asks once everyone is sat down.
"Yes, your honour." A woman stands to speak on behalf.
"And it is?" He asks, getting his little hammer thing ready.
"We find the defendant guilty, on all charges." She says and I have to catch Bucky to stop him from falling off his chair.
"On the charges of assault, bodily mutation, rape and kidnapping, the defendant Brock Rumlow is sentenced to fourty-five years without the possibility of parole." The judge declares without a second thought, slamming his hammer down.
I lift Bucky's face and smash my lips into his in a second, tears running down both our faces. Tears of joy and relief.
"It's over, we did it." I tell him as our parents come round. "We beat him."
Bucky opens his mouth to talk but nothing comes out, he just shakes his head and hugs me tight. I hug back and laugh as our parents join in on the hug as well.
"Call up all your friends and tell them we're all going out to that pizza place for dinner tonight." Mr Barnes tells us when we finally break apart and get to our feet.
We're ushered out of the courtroom, barely able to believe what just happened.
"Hey guys, congrats on your win." Matt catches us. For a blind kid, he sure is good at navigating the crowd. "And, I might see you guys around school next year."
"Will you be in senior year with us?" I ask him, wrapping an arm around Bucky's waist.
"I will be." He nods with a smile.
"Well, you're more than welcome to join our crazy group of friends any time." Bucky pats his shoulder happily then slinks his arm around my shoulders.
"Thank you, see you around. Sort of." He chuckles, walking off.
That night is a lot of fun, Bucky's whole family, my mum and all our friends take up three tables at Sottocasa and we order so much pizza, we don't even end up eating it all. Everyone is celebrating, especially Clint because he found out his big brother has at least another year to annoy his little brother.