CHAPTER FIVE

STEVE'S POV

Well... I already knew how to ride a skateboard, I just wanted to see Bucky smile and laugh, hence why I purposely fell off a few times before racing ahead. I stop skating and turn to see where he's at only to see his board roll up but he's not on it. I quickly pick up both boards and start running back, checking down every alleyway like he used to do for me. I don't stop until I see a shaking ball next to a dumpster by a diner. It's Bucky, beaten, bloody and bruised with his clothes ripped. What the fuck.
"Bucky?" I say very carefully, extending my free hand out while slowly approaching him in a crouch. He flinches at the sound over my voice and hugs himself tighter. "Hey Bucky, it's me. It's Stevie, I'm going to call an ambulance, okay?"
"I wan mum." He sobs violently without looking up. It was hard to hear what he said exactly but I figure it out.
"I'll call her, I promise but we need to get you to the hospital, okay?" I go to place my hand on his shoulder but he tries to wiggle back, but he only ends up screaming in pain which freaks me out. That's when I notice a lot of blood pouring out of his thigh, someone stabbed him. Putting my phone between my ear and shoulder waiting for 911 to pick up, I take off my jersey and wrap it tightly around his leg, hating it when he cries in pain. "I'm sorry, Bucky."
Within a few minutes of talking on the phone and listening the the man on the other line about how we both need to stay calm, and ambulance arrives and loads Bucky up. I practically beg them to let me go with him because I don't want him to be alone, and they let me be right by his side right up until we're in the hospital where I have to wait and let the doctors do their thing.
"What happened?" George is out of breath, like he just ran a mile but I guess he and Winnifred both did to get here.
"I-I don't know. I looked back and saw his board but not him, so I started checking alleys until I found him..." I look at Bucky's parents then back at the blue linoleum floor. My hands are shaking and covered in Bucky's blood from trying to stop his leg from bleeding. "I don't know what happened to him."
After what seems like forever, the doctor comes out and tells us he's asleep but we can see him and that he'll explain the extent of Bucky's injuries once he's awake. I quietly ask if I can wait as well and both Winnifred and George are okay with me staying. I pull up a chair next to his bed and watch as his chest rises and falls as he breathes. He has stitches on his right cheek bone, one eye is black and swollen and one of his eyebrows has a nasty cut over it. Winnifred pushes a lock of hair out of her son's face then sits down and burrows into her husbands side as we all wait for Bucky to wake up so we can find out what happened to him.
"Mama?" The sound of Buck's voice wakes me up. My neck hurts but I don't care. I look up to see a teary eyed Bucky and an even more teary eyed Winnifred. "Mum."
"I'm here, baby. Mum's here." They hug each other, Bucky sobbing into his mum's shoulder for a long time while George quietly goes and gets the doctor.
"Thank you, Stevie." Bucky places his hand over mine while the doctor talks about his injuries. The injury that shocks me the most is the one about his ass.
"Who did this?" I ask gently, turning my hand and curling my fingers around his hand.
"Rumlow, he did this. He - he..." Bucky can't finish his sentence but we all know what he means because of the doctor's notes.
"Do you want to talk to my mum?" I ask him. He nods and squeezes my hand. Winnifred gets up and makes the call while George is fuming quietly.
"I know that I'm supposed to talk to her alone but please stay, Stevie. Please." He begs, tears welling up in his eyes. I just nod and let him squeeze my hand as hard as he dares.
"I'm not going anywhere, I promise." I squeeze his hand back and reach up to wipe the tears from his cheeks. . "Til the end of the line?"
"Always, punk." A tiny, idy bidy smile twinges at the corners of his lips after he says those words.
My mum comes about half an hour later and per Bucky's request, only I remain as he relives the vicious details of the attack. I very much want to get up and hunt down that jerk for what he's done but then I look into Bucky's sea blue eyes that are packed to the rim with fear over what happened. He has to stop talking a couple times to breathe and calm himself but he doesn't let go of my hand and he doesn't shed a single tear but he clearly wants to do nothing more than cry. At the end, he asks if my mum can give his statement to the police and asks if I can stay by his side. My mum says yes to both and promises to drop me some clothes in the morning before going and talking to the Barnes'.
"Hey Stevie?" Bucky mumbles lowly, unable to meet my eyes. "Can we cuddle, please?"
His words shock me but I nod, smiling internally as I kick off my shoes and climb up on the bed next to him. He wraps his arm around my waist and I place my head on his chest carefully, knowing there's a few bruises there.
"Do you wanna go to homecoming with me?" Those words make me grin widely. I hadn't asked anyone in the hopes that he would ask me. I look up at the battered guy that I have a massive crush on and nod excitedly.