CHAPTER THIRTEEN

BUCKY'S POV

Steve wasn't at school yesterday and he texted me saying he wasn't coming again today because he was sick. Seeing those texts brought back memories from all the times he was sick as a kid and I always worried about him when he was, and I'm worrying now.
I tell my mum about it and instead of telling me I shouldn't skip school, she tells me to do what I feel is best, so I go to Steve's apartment and let myself in. I know where the key is, and his mum will have gone to work by now. I quietly shut the front door after replacing the key and head to Steve's room. All I see his his blonde hair sticking out under the blankets and tissues covering the floor next to his bed. I tidy up the tissues, not at all bothered by the fact that they've been used, and I also make him a hot cup of tea even though I hate the smell of it but he likes it and it'll help him feel better.
"Wake up, Stevie." I set the mug down and softly shake his shoulder under the blankets. I hear a whimper followed by some sniffles and watch with a little smile as he peaks out from under the blankets, his bloodshot eyes looking dull and confused. "I made you some tea. I hope I didn't screw it up."
I help the big guy sit up in his bed, making sure he won't tip over before I give him the cup. I almost laugh as he hums happily from the warmth as he takes a sip.
"Thank you, jerk." He croaks, smiling a tiny bit. I just smile back and sit on his bed a bit better. "Shouldn't you be at school?"
"I was worried about you." I say simply with a shrug, ignoring his harsh look. "I always worry about you when you're sick. I'll never stop worrying about you."
Steve grunts a little but drinks his tea until it's gone, then I force him into the hoodie I was wearing when I came here. Steve tries stopping me from climbing into bed next to him but ends up in a coughing fit, so I take my chance and get under the blankets, rubbing his back as well. He lets out a grunt when his coughing fit ceases and flops against me.
"I don't want to get you sick." Steve whines, looking like he's about to sneeze.
"I'll be fine, just think about getting better, yeah?" I kiss his overly warm forehead and pull him basically onto my lap so he's closer. "Just sleep."
Steve snores by the way but when he's sick, it's so much worse that it's a little funny to listen to.
My hip starts hurting a bit before going numb from Steve being on top of me but I don't move him, his weight is comforting. I also end up falling asleep with my forehead resting on top of his head in probably the most awkward and uncomfortable position it can be. The front door closing snaps me awake, giving me a bit of a fright but Steve is still very much out cold... well, he's very warm, but he wasn't woken. Ms Rogers lightly knocks on the door before walking in. She's not surprised to see me lying here with her son on top of me.
"How's he feeling?" She asks quietly, coming over to brush some locks out of Steve's face.
"Mostly coughing and sneezing but I made him some tea when I got here." I rub his shoulder and pull up the blanket a bit to keep him warm. "He's quite warm."
"I'll make him some tea and toast, would you like anything?" She asks, standing up straight.
"I'm okay, thank you. I'll try wake him up." I tell her, watching her leave before I kiss the blond mop that belongs to Steve. "Stevie, wake up babe. Come on."
He lets out a long groan and pushes his face into my chest. I can't help but laugh a little at this, it's just how I remember him being when he was a small, scrawny kid.
"I'll give you a hickey." I threaten but he still doesn't wake up. "Alright then."
Without any hesitation, I start kissing his shoulder, working my way up to his neck then jaw. I move back down to his neck and start nibbling and sucking the bit of skin, earning a moan from Steve.
"Buckkkkk." Steve whines, sitting up and rubbing the spot on his neck where I was just kissing, it's already red.
"I told you to wake up, your mum is home." I grin at him, pecking his cheek. He still looks very pale and very tired. "She's making you some tea and toast."
"Mkay." He mumbles, placing his head back on my chest and pulling the blanket up over his head but I pull it back down, getting a very loud grumble. "Bucky lemme sleep."
"Soon but you gotta eat and drink something first." I sound like a big hypocrite right now but he's got a fever and needs to keep his fluid up. "Please babe, stay awake for a bit longer."
"Fine." He sits up a bit between my legs, rubbing his eyes tiredly. "Tissue?"
I nod, grabbing a couple from his bedside table and handing them to him and watching as he blows his nose and tries tossing it into his bin but it misses. He pouts at that but shrugs it off, clearly too sick and tired to care about that right now.
"When did I put your hoodie on?" Steve asks, looking completely stumped. I just laugh and kiss his cheek. "That doesn't answer my question James."
I simply grin at him and lie back as his mum walks in with a tray carrying a cup of steaming tea and a plate of toast.
"Are you sure you don't want anything, James?" She asks once more. I smile at her but shake my head 'no'. "Okay, you're always welcome to the food in the cupboards, and Steve, please eat your toast, drink your tea and rest, okay darling."
"I will, mum." Steve tells her, going to grab the tray but I reach round his body and grab it first because he'll likely drop it. "Thanks mum."
The whole time Steve is drinking his tea and nibbling on the toast, he tries getting me to have a bite but I quite honestly don't feel hungry. He stops after a couple tries because I start feeling uncomfortable about not eating and he realises that.
When he's finished, I place the tray carefully on the floor and hand him a tissue when his nose goes all runny. He settles down after blowing his nose but starts shivering despite the layers he's wearing and his overly hot temp but I pull up his thick duvet over us anyway to keep him nice and toasty.
"Get better, punk." I mutter, kissing his forehead as he falls back asleep.
Him being snuggled up like this just reminds me of how we were like this when he was smaller. It's the same kid but he's finally the size he wants to be and I'm glad that he's happier in his body.