CHAPTER ELEVEN

BUCKY'S POV

It's Christmas tomorrow and a year ago, I never thought I'd be able to spend another Christmas with my family again. My mum is all in with the whole Christmas decorating but according to my siblings, they didn't set it up last year because I wasn't there but I'm here now and mum is ordering us around like soldiers to get ready for tomorrow. Mum even pulls me aside and asks (more like demands) me to ask Steve and Ms Rogers over for Christmas dinner tonight. I take that as my chance to shove my chores onto Josh and run off to my room to talk to my boyfriend whom I haven't seen since winter break began.
"Hey babe," Steve sounds exhausted. I feel a little bad calling him now. "How's your week been?"
"Mum's being a drill sergeant, like normal." I lightly kick my door closed and sit on my bed. I hear a rough chuckle down the end of the line. He doesn't sound good. "What about you? You sound like hell."
"I had to stay at my dad's for a few days, he wanted to fix things but I ended up coming home last night." I never really liked Mr Rogers, I constantly avoided him when we were kids, Steve did as well. "I didn't sleep much but I'll be okay."
"I hope so, I'm sorry things didn't work out between you two." I mumble softly, pulling one leg to my chest but keeping the other stretched out. I draw patterns against my light blue duvet with my free hand. "Mum would like to know if you and your mum would like to come to dinner at our house tonight. Maybe it'd take your mind off of things."
"I'll ask mum but I'm more than down to see my boyfriend." Steve's words make me smile happily. I so hope that he's able to. "Any particular clothes we have to wear?"
"Christmas sweaters or death." I try my best to sound serious but I burst out laughing and so does Stevie.
"Christmas sweaters it is." Steve breathes heavy when we finally calm down.
We talk for a little longer before my mum starts yelling at me to help with dinner. Steve just laughs because he can hear her through the phone. We say goodbye and he promises to ask his mum about later tonight and tells me to hurry to the kitchen before my eardrums explode from her yelling.
Tucking my phone into my pocket, I hurry out of my room to the kitchen before my mum raises a shit storm. I help my mum stuff the uncooked roast chicken and rub different herbs over the skin and fix some eggnog. By the time we've finished prepping the food, the house looks completely different. Not only is Christmas music playing softly but there's fairy lights and tinsel everywhere, and the Christmas tree stands tall and proud in the corner by the window near the couch. Everyone is in ugly Christmas sweaters and a mixture of jeans, sweats or shorts (shorts are my option). Lil Dawn is in a Christmas dress and rainbow socks along with her sweater, mum is similarly dressed.
"Stevie!" I probably yelled that too loud when I opened the door to see Steve in jeans and an ugly Christmas sweater, his mum too.
"Hey Bucky." Steve stoops slightly and captures my lips in his. I can't stop the small hum of happiness from escaping.
"Stop making out and invite them in!" Dad yells at us.
I just know my cheeks are burning red right now but I pull away anyway and step aside for them. I may or may not have squeezed his plump ass when he passes me just to see a tomato red blush fueling his ears. Maybe if I do it a little more, his ears will catch on fire. I decide not to embarrass him even more, no matter how tempting it is.
Ms Rogers takes the last spot on the couch but there's still one more beanbag by the Christmas tree. I take a seat first and pat my lap and send Steve a grin. Everyone rolls their eyes at us but neither of us care as he kind of sits on me and the beanbag. I wrap my arms around his body and smile like the happy big spoon I am right now.
The air is full of different aromas from the food cooking and there's absolutely no tension in the room, it's full of laughter and love as we talk and joke around.
"So, James, will you be taking any sports next year?" Ms Rogers asks me after we say grace at the dinner table.
"No, I still don't trust the strength of my arm yet." I admit, piling my plate with different foods. "The physical therapy has helped but I'm still scared."
"I guess that's fair," She smiles at me from across the table. "Is there anything else you're interested in doing?"
"I'm learning guitar which is a nice way to get everything out." I love playing guitar, though I'm very terrible at it. "What about you, Steve? Have you decided what sport you want to play next year?"
"Probably football or baseball." Steve shrugs next to me, cutting up his chicken.
"Wait, you're learning guitar?" Dad asks me completely puzzled. Oops, I guess I forgot to tell them.
"Yeah, Mrs Lyle is teaching me in music." I tell them awkwardly, buttering a piece of bread. "It's a little difficult because I have to use a left-handed guitar."
With that awkwardness out of the way, we talk amongst ourselves. I mostly talk to Steve about helping him with football and baseball and his art. He refuses to show me most of his projects which sucks but I don't push him to show me no matter how much I want to see them. Every time I rest my hand on my lap while I'm eating, Steve laces our fingers together and squeezes ever so gently. I just know he's thinking about his dad because he's not as carefree like the rest of us tonight.
"May Steve and I be excused?" I finally say when I'm full and Steve's barely touched his dessert. "School stuff."
"Keep the door open a little, please." Dad smirks at me.
I simply nod and take Steve's hand and drag the big guy to my room and sit him on my bed. He looks very confused but also relieved to be away from everyone. I close the door somewhat, keeping it open a little like my dad asked, then I sit in my chair in front of my boyfriend who looks ready to breakdown and cry.
"What happened at your dad's? I hate seeing you like this." I ask softly, taking both his hands into mine and rubbing my thumb across his knuckles without taking my eyes away from his.
"The only reason I was even allowed there was because Stacy wanted us to get along, he didn't want me there at all." Steve grumbles in a mixture of anger and sadness. I wouldn't have a clue how hard this is on him but I want to help him like he did with me. "Me and dad started arguing a lot and he uh, he said somethings about mum, so I punched him in the face and left, apologising to Stacy as I did because it's not fair on her, she's nice."
"Jesus..." I don't know what to say. I reach up and wipe the tear away before it can fall any further down his cheek. "Babe, I'm so sorry. I don't know what to do."
"Smack some sense into my dad?" He is half joking and half serious but overall, he's devastated about his dad's words, even if he won't tell me what they are.
"He'll never realise how amazing your mum is, and he will never know the amazing person you are. He doesn't know what he's missing out on by being a dickhead to you." After I say those words that I mean with all my heart, my whole being, I lean forward and gladly capture his lips with my own, my heart filled to the brim with love for this huge dork. "You and your mum are not what he says you are. You're both a billion times better than he'll ever be."
I get up from my chair and wiggle off my jeans and clamber into my bed and pat the space next to me and watch as he takes his shoes off and lays down. I get a weird look from him as I move us about so he's the little spoon for once but he says nothing and settles with his back to my chest.