CHAPTER NINE

BUCKY'S POV

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO WEAR TO THIS GOD FORSAKEN DANCE! Every single item of clothing I own has been tossed around my room. The dance is in five hours, and before the dance, me, Steve and the others are going out to Sottocasa for dinner (though I might not eat much, like usual). I sit down on my computer chair when pain shoots up my leg.
"Mum, I need some help!" I shout, rubbing around the wound on my leg, not caring that I'm only in boxers and a t-shirt right now. Mum comes in, frowning in confusion at the mess. "I don't know what to wear to homecoming."
Realisation dawns on her face before she grins excitedly and starts grabbing clothes and looking through them while tidying up. After ten minutes, she tosses a red button up shirt at me along with some dark wash jeans. She kisses my forehead before leaving me to tidy the rest of my room and change. I very carefully tug off my t-shirt and exchange it for the shirt that was tossed at me, then I put on my pants without getting up much.
I quickly tidy my room and take whatever meds I need to then grab some socks and a belt for my pants.
"Are you staying for dinner tonight?" Dad asks as I stumble into the kitchen, threading my belt through the loops on my pants.
"No, we're all heading to Sottocasa." I smile at him, doing up my belt buckle and sitting on the chair.
"All good." Dad smiles, passing me some nice looking shoes. "Got these for tonight."
"Thanks pops." I smile, taking the black leather shoes into my hands like they're diamonds.
I slip my feet into them after pulling on my socks and once again struggle to tie my shoes but I manage to get them done up without any help.
Before Steve can even step in the door and I can get a look at him, my mum squeals and pulls out the camera and demands that she takes photos.
She drags Steve out into the lounge and I'm pretty sure my jaw crashes through the floor because DAMN, he looks gorgeous. Steve is in a royal blue, black trimmed Royal blue velvet tux with a black bow tie and black dress pants. I feel severely underdressed in my red shirt and jeans.
"I look like a potato." I grumble a little as I stand next to Steve for my mum's camera.
"You look good." Steve whispers in my ear, wrapping his arm around my waist.
"Mum," I groan as she demands us to pose. "This isn't prom! It's homecoming and we're going to be late to dinner with the others."
"Okay, okay." She huffs, placing the camera down and grabs my face to repeatedly kiss my head. "I love you, Jamie."
"Love you too, mum." I smile, kissing her cheek. I grab my phone, wallet and keys from the coffee table and shove them my pocket. "Shall we go, Mr Rogers?"
"Yes we shall, Mr Barnes." My parents roll their eyes as we loop our arms and walk out the door but not before Dawn hugs us goodbye.
"Clint forgot his hearing aids." Natasha is in a form fitting but flowy red dress and light make up, Clint is in like me with a white button up shirt and black pants.
"Really, Clint?" I sigh to him with an eye roll. He just goes red and shrugs.
The four of us head inside the pizza place and find Bruce, Tony, Sam and Sharon at a table near the back. We head over and sit down next to them. Tony is sixteen but graduated last year and is in college because he's a smart ass but he doesn't seem too happy with it by the conversation he's having with Bruce. Steve and I share a pizza because I'm still not eating much food but it's slowly picking up again.
"Breathe." I feel a hand over mine. I hadn't realised my breathing picked up. I've been blocking that out a little since Tuesday morning.
The only reason dinner takes so long is because Clint is constantly eating. The school hall is packed and freaks me out. I shouldn't feel freaked out but everyone is packed into one spot and I become very aware of my injuries. Steve slips his hand in my own and squeezes, effectively calming down a bit. The music is loud but the crowd is louder. Not only do I not know how to dance to what they call music but I probably wouldn't be able to bust any moves because of my leg and other area. However, the second a slow song comes on, I drag Steve out onto the floor and drape my arms over his shoulders, his hands awkwardly on my waist.
"What are we?" I finally ask the burning question, wanting to know if we're dating or not.
"What do you mean?" Seriously? I'm sure he's ninety years old.
"I mean what I asked." I sigh, just wanting to kiss this big blonde boy already.
"Would you, James Buchanan Barnes, like to be my boyfriend?" My heart stops, I don't know how to react. I want so badly to say 'yes' but I also want to kiss those damn lips.
I open my mouth to say something but end up smashing my lips into his instead. His lips are soft and somehow taste like marshmallows. I don't care how they taste like that but I'm addicted, I never want to stop kissing him.
"I'll take that as a 'yes'." Steve hums happily, pressing his forehead to mine when we pull apart. "Come closer."
I wrap my arms around his dorito body and rest my head on his shoulder and he wraps his arms around my body. The song comes to an end but I don't want to break this moment. Unfortunately, the next song is some pop crap, so we get off the dance floor.
It's been a good night, dancing when something slow comes on and joking with our friends between songs with Steve's arm wrapped protectively around my shoulders and my left arm around his waist. I don't want this night to end.