CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

STEVE'S POV

"I can still use my legs, you know." I tell Bucky as he wheels me down the halls of the hospital. We're going to see Clint and Barney to distract Buck from what happened in court.
"You've got five broken ribs, you're not standing any time soon." He scolds me, so with a reluctant sigh, I relax in the wheelchair.
"Heya Clint." Bucky smiles, seeing the scruffy haired boy by a water cooler, giving the other guy a fright.
"Hey... ohhh," He looks at Bucky then down at me, his mind ticking quickly trying to figure out what happened. "You both look like shit."
"That's offensive, I'm damn gorgeous." I say in mock offense, prying a small laugh out of Clint.
"What happened?" Clint asks, filling up a foam cup with water.
"Rumlow." Bucky's voice is full to the brim with hatred and distaste from that one name. Clint's eyes widen in horror realising he did this to me.
"He's been arrested but," I start filling Clint in but I can feel the anger radiating off my boyfriend, so I grab his hand and squeeze softly. "He's pleaded not guilty to everything."
"What the fuck?" Clint throws out the empty cup and pulls Buck in for a hug. "His ass is gonna be whooped in court, he won't get away with everything he's done to you."
"I never did tell you what happened last time I encountered him, did I?" Bucky mumbles, his hand squeezes mine a little hard but I don't mind, he hasn't exactly talked about last time.
"You were beaten up in an alley by him?" Clint guesses because that's all we had told our friends. "What else did that fucker do?"
"He - " Bucky's voice cracks so bad he clamps his mouth shut like he's going to puke.
"He did a little more than beat up and stab him in the thigh," I tell our friend, pulling my hand out of my boyfriends grip and placing my hand on the small of his back. "I found Buck with his pants ripped and pulled down."
That makes Clint stumble as he puts two and two together. He goes from complete shock to pure rage, but then, when he sees the look on Bucky's face, he calms down and hugs him again.
"He'll pay for it, one way or another." I hear Clint whisper, all Bucky does is hug back while I rub his lower back.
"How's Barney?" I ask when the two break apart, noting that both their eyes are red.
"Not good, he's getting worse." Clint stares down at the floor, not being his usual hyper self. "I don't think he's going to beat this."
"He's strong, just like you Clint." Bucky pipes up, patting his arm, and using his other hand to lace our fingers together. "No matter what happens, we're here you, okay man? Just be there for him, be yourself and make him smile."
"Yeah, I'll try." Clint smiles tightly, picking at the bottom of his jacket. "No idea what will happen when he does pass."
"Tony said he's sorting something." I remember Stark saying the other day at morning break. "We'll help with anything you need."
"Thanks." Clint nods, grabbing another cup of water. I don't think I've ever seen him drink so much water, he's normally got coffee. "When are you guys out of here?"
"Today for him, tomorrow for me." I tell him what the doctor told me.
"You won't be leaving that wheelchair until your ribs are healed." Bucky tells me sternly, I just roll my eyes and smirk at him. "I will handcuff you to the chair, don't think I won't."
I roll my eyes and make the crazy gesture to Clint who ends up in a fit of giggles. When he calms down, we go say hi to Barney who looks glad to see faces other than his brother and the doctors. We're there for a good couple hours making him laugh until his doctor comes in to take him for a check up. Clint stays behind despite our offer for him to come hang with us until his brother is done with the doctor.
We're given food once we're back and I'm up in bed. I scoff it down, glad I haven't lost my appetite but Bucky hasn't touched his dinner. He'd only just gotten his appetite back, only for this to happen to us.
"If I'm gonna be stuck in that wheelchair for a couple weeks, you gotta eat at least one bite of every meal." I tell him, pushing the wheelie table away and grabbing myself a drink, my hand shaking a little as I pour it. It suddenly goes steady and I see a hand holding the bottom, Bucky smiles softly at me.
"I'll try eat." He promises me, kissing my lips softly before moving back to his bed.
And he does, he manages a couple bites before pushing it away. Bucky is discharged later on, and I'm moved to a smaller room but Bucky doesn't leave my side, neither does my mum. A nurse comes in and says visiting hours will be over soon but by the time she comes to herd him out, he's passed out with me snuggled up in his arms. She just shrugs, checks everything is okay and leaves.
"I'll be back in the morning." Mum tells me, kissing my forehead. "Love you, sweety."
"Love you, mum." I smile at her as she leaves.
The moment she's gone, I break down in tears. I haven't told any of them this but I do remember something and it has shaken me up a lot but I feel like I have to be strong around them. Rumlow said he was going to cut Bucky up but he wouldn't kill him until he had had his way with him again, then he'd kill him while I watched. I emailed that to the detective and he said he'd add that to the report for me. But it doesn't stop me from feeling shaken up and terrified that if Rumlow is set free, he might actually do that but I don't get why. We're teenagers.
I try to make my cries as quiet as possible but Bucky is a light sleeper. It doesn't take long of me crying until I feel a kiss on my shoulder and his hands play with mine.
"Buck, I'm scared." I whimper, just wanting what Rumlow had said to go away. "I'm so scared."
"He won't hurt us, never again." Bucky whispers in my ear, kissing my cheek softly. "Not again."