CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

BUCKY'S POV

I've been awake for hours, just laying here thinking about everything yet nothing. I'm snapped out of my own mind by whimpering and whines full of pain. I kiss Steve's head, lightly rubbing his arms. A nurse comes in and adjusts his pain killers, and he starts to calm down. I smile my thanks at the nurse before she heads out. Last night, I had convinced Steve's mum and my parents to go home because I had to stay overnight, so I could look after him.
The detective on my case comes in and tells me that Rumlow will be going to court today but because I had videoed my statement, I wouldn't need to be there. He promises that I will never have to take the stand if this goes to trial, and if I do, it will be over Skype if that's what I want. And apparently, Rumlow is stupid enough to represent himself.
"Wait, sir?" I stop the detective before he leaves the room. My mind is telling me not to be stupid but I'm going to ask this anyway. "I want to be there when he pleads."
"I'll send someone to come get you, but only if you're sure." He informs me. Now's my chance not to be stupid but I'm going to be anyway.
"I need to be there, closure." I tell him, playing with Steve's fingers gently.
"Fair enough." He smiles, leaving the hospital room so I'm now alone with my sleeping boyfriend, and my thoughts.
"Buck, I hurt." I hear Steve whisper, and I try to stop him from moving. "My ribs hurt."
"Don't move too much." I tell him, kissing his temple but I can tell he was a kiss on the lips. "I'm going to court later today to see what Rumlow pleads but I'll be back straight after."
"No, don't leave me." Steve begs, his voice cracks slightly which breaks my heart. "I don't want to be hurt again."
"Hey now, they're not going to hurt us ever again." I promise him, letting him play around with my fingers so he can calm down. "Never again, I promise but I have to go."
"How long will it take?" He asks, moving so he can face me better, which he really shouldn't but let's be honest here, when has he ever played by the rules?
"I'm not sure, I just hope he pleads guilty so this doesn't go to trial." I mumble, using my right hand to rub my face, slightly aware of the pain ebbing from the cut. "Our parents will be here soon, your mum will stay while I go."
"M'kay." He sighs, resting his head on my shoulder.
I play around with his hair for a little while until our parents walk in, all looking like they've barely slept. I fill them in about Steve's pain management and that he's had a couple moments where he's in pain but it's quickly dealt with, I also tell them I'm going to the courthouse later to see what Rumlow pleads. They're admittedly shocked, but they understand why. They do get upset when I tell them I want to go alone. I want to go alone because my dad would get very mad seeing him, and that's not needed.
My parents had brought me some clean, non bloody clothes that I quickly change into, glad that they also brought my favourite hoodie.
"Hey kid, ready to go?" An officer pops his head around the door.
"One sec." I say and he nods. I turn to my parents and hug them, then I hug Sarah and kiss Steve's forehead. "See you guys later."
Not gonna lie, my nerves are shot through the roof the whole drive there but I get to sit in the front seat of a police car, which is awesome but he doesn't let me touch any of the buttons. He takes me into the courtroom and sits me down. I don't need a lawyer today and hopefully Rumlow pleads guilty, so I won't have to have one. Today will be hard enough as it is.
The judge comes in, then Rumlow is. He's handcuffed to the officer as his arm is in a cast and sling. He looks like shit but Steve looks worse. I feel a million different things at once, it takes me a moment to calm down enough to hear what he pleads.
"I'm proud of what I did to that mutt and his boytoy." Rumlow growls, looking me right in the eye. "But," Oh no, please no. "I plead not guilty."
I cover my ears and fall to the floor, my stomach twists up and my heart pounds painfully in my chest. This can't be happening. Why is he doing this to me? Why can't he just leave me alone?
Lots of people crowd around me, asking if I'm okay or need help but I can't answer them. How am I supposed to answer? This prick will never leave me alone. Maybe I should've killed him, or at least put him in a coma.
I barely remember leaving the courtroom, or going back to the hospital. I'm just sort of there. I'm bombarded with questions but I just sit on the chair next to Steve's bed and stare down at the floor.
Something touches my hair and I look up to see Steve smiling at me with his broken bottom lip. He knows. He doesn't have to hear me say it but he knows and he's smiling to calm me down. His smile always helps me feel better.
"I'm going to need a lawyer." I look him straight in the eye, not caring that my voice cracks.
My head drops against the bed and I just let the tears flow. I can feel Steve's fingers running through my hair, it may not be calming down but I eventually fall asleep from it. I just want this Rumlow nightmare to end, so I can be happy with Steve and the people who actually do care about me.