CHAPTER NINETEEN

BUCKY'S POV

It's been two months since the last run in with Rumlow, Steve and I are both physically healed but we found out last week that tomorrow is the first day of the trial. My lawyer has all the evidence against Rumlow and says it'll go well. He also says that I don't have to be at the trial at all, that they can Skype me when I'm called to the witness stand but I refuse, I need to be there and look that bastard in the eye when I do.
But, that's not important tonight. Tonight is date night with Steve and we recently talked about possibly going one step further tonight. I was the one who had brought it up and I know when we get back to my place tonight, with everyone in the house gone to my grandparents in Wisconsin (they get back tomorrow morning), it'll be the only chance we get. I also know Steve will be asking constantly if I'm sure and I am. My first time may have been ruined by that other prick but I know Steve won't be like that. And yes, I'll be on the bottom.
Like normal, I'm in jeans with my leather jacket but my jeans are clean and tidy looking and I'm wearing a nice shirt. I'm just waiting on Steve to finish showering and get changed before we head out to Sottocasa.
Over the past couple months, we've barely left each other's side, either staying at my place or his. We've bickered a little because we're both so in each other's faces it gets slightly annoying but I love his annoying face. Our bickering is quickly resolved and we're back to being hopelessly romantic idiots. As Natasha likes to call us.
"Damn babe, you look stunning." I smile excitedly when Steve finally leaves the bathroom.
He's in basically the same as me but his clothes are a bit more form fitting than my own.
Steve's face goes red in the cheeks as he blushes, so I pull him in for a kiss, probably making him blush more. But then I notice the slightest of winces so I back away.
"I'm fine, ribs are twingey." Steve tells me, taking my metal hand in both of his. "I promise that I'm fine and I'll tell you if it gets worse."
"Okay." I relax, lacing my metal fingers through his right hand.
We walk all the way to Sottocasa, not taking any alleyways or shortcuts of any kind. We haven't since that incident, mostly because I know Steve feels better walking with the lights right above us to make it easier to see if we're about to be attacked.
We get our usual table that we normally get with our friends, only minus our friends tonight. The waiter is excited to see us, knowing tonight is date night and he instantly sits us and grabs us a couple menus.
We end up ordering a Boscaiola pizza to share. It's our usual. Tomatoes, mozzarella, hot Italian sausage (not that type of sausage you dirty dogs), gorgonzola, mushrooms and basil.
We plow through the pizza like there's no tomorrow because it's fucking amazing. We talk as well about what kind of art Steve has been working on and me with music.
I started playing again, I'm a bit rusty but so were my guitar strings. I replaces them and started attempting to play until I realised I'd have to get a left handed guitar because my metal fingers are USELESS at pressing the strings down. But that was an easy fix, I just restrung the guitar upside down. It was a bit hard getting used to it being that way around but I'm getting there, and Steve has been a big help when he's not curled up like a massive human-kitten hybrid thing next to me.
"Are you sure you want to have sex tonight?" Steve asks me for the millionth time as we're dawdling back home.
"Steve, I'm sure. Are you?" I ask, catching him by surprise. I may be the bottom tonight but I have to know he's comfortable being on top as well.
"I'm sure, I'm ready, it's just after what Rumlow did, I want to know if you're seriously okay with this." Steve tells me, squeezing my hand with a reassuring smile on his face.
"Steve," I stop us in the middle of the footpath but I don't care as I turn to face him, cupping his jaw in my hands. "I am very sure I want to go through with it. I want it to be with you and I want to move past what happened that day, and I want to move past it with you, the guy I love and adore."
That shuts him right up. Probably because I said I love him. And I do. Sure we've said it platonically as friends before but I seriously mean it as something more now that I'm looking up into those beautiful blue eyes of his.
"I love you, Steve." I mutter, leaning in for a kiss, only for him to all but attack me with a kiss first.
"I love you, James." He whispers between kisses. This time it's him throwing me off because he never uses my first name but him using it tells me that he means it.
We do eventually get moving again but with a little more speed to get back to my place.
And just as I thought, Steve was gentle and caring, listening to me if I wanted him to stop but I didn't. It was great and so was he. And don't worry, we did clean ourselves up and at least put on some underwear so we didn't shock the family when they get back, we're not wanting to scar any of them for life like that.
When I wake up the next morning, Steve is comfortably on my chest, his head tucked under my jaw like normal. It's hard to think about what might happen today with such peace like this.
Though my little brothers ruin it but bursting into my room and shoot us with nerf bullets before running away.
"It's on." Steve almost falls off the bed wanting to get his revenge.
"Under the bed." I tell him, stretching my arms up and resting my head on my hands underneath.
Steve pulls out my semi automatic nerf gun and sprints out of my room to get his payback while I lay here laughing happy and content for the first time in two years.