Eagle Flies: The Good Fight

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, we met at that party. Kinda" you smiled and nodded politely at Eagle Flies and then his father, Arthur nodded at them as well. Eagle Flies nodded back at you, smiling slightly, almost like he was letting you know that he remembered you.

"We saw you on the wagon train crossing the river at Cumberland Falls and at the party, you were upstairs" Rains Fall told Arthur and you teared your gaze away from Eagle Flies to pay attention to the conversation.

"Well you have great powers of observation" Arthur commented, a little dismissively.

"Yes, my people, if we are even a people anymore, we fought hard, we've made peace treaties and those treaties were broken, and we've been moved and punished and punished and moved. And now I am told we are to be moved again" Rains Fall explained to you both, you could see the pain and sorrow on their faces.

"Clearly contravening the peace treaty they signed three years ago" Miller added, hoping that you both understood.

"This will lead to war" Eagle Flies told you all. You still remembered his anger from the party, it was beginning to make sense to you now.

"No, my son, it will not. We cannot fight another war. They have got stronger and we have become far weaker" Rains Fall sighed, patting his son's shoulder.

"It's a bad business" Arthur nodded.

"It's to do with oil" Miller told you both.

"Of course it is" you mumbled, for some reason it just wasn't that surprising.

"I know it is, but I need the proof. I believe there were some prospectors who were on their land a few months ago who have filed reports with Leviticus Cornwall and the State Government claiming huge reserves of oil under their land" Miller explained.

"So, you want us to try to steal it?" Arthur asked, looking between the three of them.

"Obviously they can't and even more obviously, I would be useless. Listen, I-I realise that it is a ridiculous request, but we're very desperate" Miller sighed, practically begging for your help.

"I'm not a do-gooder, Mr Miller" Arthur began to refuse help to them but you kicked him in the ankle, making him look down at you questioningly. You gave him a pleading expression, you just wanted to help these people. Arthur just rolled his eyes before turning back to the three men. "But she is and she wouldn't forgive me for turning you folks down" Arthur sighed, placing his hand on your shoulder.

"Thank you, Arthur" you whispered to him before smiling at the three men. "It's a little out of our area of expertise but we'd be happy to help" you assured him.

"We will pay you both very handsomely" Rains Fall assured you both.

"We don't need to take your money" you insisted, you aren't going to take their money, you would help them simply because they needed it.

"We're turning down perfectly good money now?" Arthur asked, leaning down to you as if they would stop the others from hearing him.

"Yes, we are. We are better than that" you nodded before smiling at the men again. Eagle Flies smiled a little to himself, you were different, you wanted to help.

"Alright but the government doesn't like us anymore than it does you. Like you, we've been running for as long as we can remember and like you, my time here is nigh on done" Arthur told them and you sighed sadly, knowing what he is referring too.

"We understand, and we will pay" Rains Fall told you again, attempting to appeal to Arthur's better nature.

"No you won't" you insisted, continuing to refuse their money.