Chapter Eighteen

Again a voice screams in agony. Blood is dampening the ground and the flowers start to turn red.

I look at the guy, who makes these disturbing noises.  He is an perfect image of Arijus. But age changed his hair color and facial features.

Soon I see why he is screaming. He has a deep wound on his leg and a ax in his hand.

As the man spots his son and the rest of us, he begins to move closer, raising his ax. Immediately I know that something is not right with him. The way his body is bent down and how his head moves frantically from side to side. His eyes seem lifeless, like he is a puppet and someone else is pulling the strings. In his case his own body.

I'm not the only one, who detects the demon immediately. Caspar moves forward as well.

"Looks like the fun is going to start now," he grins, moving even closer to the scene.

The rest of my teammates get closer as well. Chris tells Elisa and Ella to stay behind. But we forget Arijus. He doesn't listen and  approaches his father. He doesn't know about the demon yet.

"Father, what happened?" He wants to know.

He is still looking at the wound, that leaves traces on the ground. His father doesn't hear him. Instead the cracking sound of bones can be heard, when the man suddenly attacks his son. Arijus is too shocked, to register what happens. His father injures him. A second later he is holding onto his arm.

"Father," Arijus screams desperately.

But he doesn't get through him.

Before the man can hit Arijus another time, I whip out my bow. My arrow hits his shoulder perfectly. A normal human being would have been knocked down.  Yet the demon only flinches, until he averts his eyes towards me.

Good, I think. With that I can work. Fighting demons is what I have been born for.

Next, one of my swords hit his ax and the demon stumbles back. He is weak, I figure out.

Again and again I strike, until he is no longer holding onto his weapon. The demon knows, that he is losing and starts another tactic.

He falls to his knees and shows me his outstretched palms.

"Please spar my life," he begs.

It is not his voice that he is using. From behind I make out Arijus, who is coming closer. I glare at him, for even getting into this fight.

"Stop. This is my father," he yells and gets in front of me.

He seems to forget, that this man just attacked him. That is the reaction the demon wants and I see him grinning from ear to ear. However he forgets that he is fighting none other than me.

"No, that is not your father," I argue, but Arijus doesn't leave his spot.

"Get out of my way!" I say, keeping my eyes trained on the demon.

I recognize that look in his eyes.

"No," he shakes his head.

The demon uses that moment to jump up. But I am prepared. Faster than Arijus can blink, I shoot my next arrow at his father and it hits my aim perfectly. This time the demon screams in pain. I grin, because I hit him right. He is vulnerable, every demon has his weak spot.

Like a mad man the demon shakes, trying to get the arrow out of his leg. He makes sounds that no human can make. Abruptly the demon disappears out of the mans body. He shows his true form.

It is a smaller demon, one I have fought many times. His kind is able to posses another body and I snarl as he tries to flee.

I point one of my swords at his face. "Where do you think you are going?" I ask the ugly figure.

His body is completely made out of dark shadows. Some of them have ears, eyes and noses. Others only have parts of it. This one in particular, has a sewn up mouth and huge red lined eyes. Definitely one of the uglier ones, I think.

"There is someone, who would love to play with you," I say. Caspar immediately knows that I talk about him.

"I just thought, you didn't want to share all that fun," he says to me.

"No," I state, looking a last time at the pathetic demon.

"He is all yours."

With that I turn around. Only to meet Arijus haggard gaze.

A demon? Did you expect that? Tell me your thoughts about this chapter and please leave a vote if you liked it.