Chapter Two

"You are way too stubborn," Cedrik accuses me.

Normally I would snap at him. However he is right. Allegedly, it is a trait that I inherited from my mother. It is part of me that will never change, no matter what.

Hence I say, "Can't tell you other wise," and he shakes his head in defeat.

He knows that he can't change my mind. In the past he tried many times, yet he always failed. I have to give him credit for sticking with me for such a long time. I even consider him my best friend, since we know each other from a young age.

As we continue our journey, we have to pass the mountains of Neverrin. About 100 years ago, people used to live there, their houses build at the edge of rocks. But living in the canyon made the humans careless and a lot of them died, because of their own ignorance.

I look down into the ravine, seeing nothing but an endless path. I know one wrong move could kill. There is a reason why, you only meet lost animals here, most of them about to die. No human dares to get close to Nevverin, only if they have a death wish.

But the mountains are no problem for us. Soon we leave them behind and get closer to the woods. The prison itself is build deep into Forverest. A forest, which residents a lot of wild, dangerous animals. I notice how their dark eyes follow us, watch us with suspicion.

It is the perfect place, to host criminals. No one will ever try to get in or get someone out. Until today, I think, containing my grin. Why am I doing it? Well, we need Caspar. He is a part of our team and even though he is crazy, he is gifted.

Why is he locked up? He broke a few laws from what I heard. Somehow they captured him. When I first heard of it, I didn't care. It is his fault for getting himself in trouble. Though I ask myself why didn't he free himself. I'm sure he is capable of that.

"There it is," Chris says.

When I step next to him, he crosses his arms against his chest. He doesn't look at me and purses his cracked up lips.

We are standing in front of a huge building, made out of wood and stone. With it's height it looks out of place, but the way they constructed it, it fits well into this forest. They used a few of the bigger trees to stabilize the roof and the stones are a good foundation to keep everything together. And to some it may look invulnerable, but there is a way to get out of every jail.

"And what now?" Chris asks, and I know that he is talking to me.

I snort at his question. It is not that he doesn't know what to do. This is his way of showing that he doesn't like the idea of it.

Cedrik comes surprisingly to my defense,"Come on Chris, don't be so sulky."

"What? Now you find this idea good?" he wants to know, and I can feel that this is going to be a big argument.

However, I just listen to their conversation.

"No, I didn't say that. I mean Caspar is Caspar. Talented but crazy. More important, he is a part of our team and we swore that we would help each other. He would do the same for us."

With that, Chris is quiet, because he knows that Cedrik is right. Caspar may be crazy, but he is still loyal and would never abandon one of us.

"Fine," Chris mumbles afterwards and that is the time I speak up.

"Use your power," is my answer to his first question and he gives me a halfhearted glare.

"I know, I know."

Chris looks from left to right, while doing so he only uses his eyes. The rest of his body is still. He does it once, then waits for a few seconds and repeats that movement. Not even a strand of his cinnamon colored hair moves.