Chapter 14

"Sam, your mom is here to collect you!" Lauren called weakly upstairs. There was no answer, just the sound of a pair of little feet running around the landing. She sighed and looked at her reflection in the mirror. She didn't recognize the woman she saw. Her face was swollen and puffy, her hair messed from being blown in the breeze, and damp from rubbing her teary hands through it.

Luke appeared at the top of the stairs, sleepy-eyed and dressed in his Spider-Man pajamas, which he refused to allow her to wash, instead hiding them behind his favorite teddy, George, for protection. He rubbed his eyes tiredly with his fists and looked down at her in confusion.

"Huh?"

"Luke, it's pardon, not huh," Lauren corrected him, then wondered in her current mood why the hell it mattered. "Sam's mother is still waiting so could you please tell him to hurry down."

Luke scratched his head in a daze. "But . . ." He stopped and rubbed his face tiredly.

"But what?"

"Sam's mom collected him when you were in the gar—" He stopped as his gaze was diverted to over Lauren's shoulder.

Luke's face broke into a front-toothless smile. "Oh, hello, Sam's mom."

He giggled uncontrollably. "Sam will be down in a minute." He laughed, then he ran back to his room.

Lauren had no choice but to turn slowly and face Sam's mother. She couldn't continue to avoid her while she waited in her home for her son. On first glance, she noticed she had a look of bewilderment as she watched Luke run back down the hall giggling. She turned to face her, looking worried. She was leaning against the door frame, hands tucked into the back pockets of a pair of faded blue jeans. She wore a blue T-shirt and wisps of brown hair escaped from under her blue cap. Despite her youthful attire, she presumed she was her age.

"Don't worry about Luke," Lauren said, slightly embarrassed at her nephew's behavior. "He's just a little hyper tonight and," she rushed her words, "I'm sorry you caught me at a bad time in the garden," Lauren said, wrapping her arms around her body protectively. "I'm not usually like this." She wiped her eyes with a trembling hand and quickly clasped her hands together to hide her shaking. Her overflow of emotion had disoriented her.

"That's OK," the soft husky voice replied. "We all have our bad days."

Lauren chewed on the inside of her mouth and tried in vain to remember her last good one. "Ariana is away at the moment, I'm sure you've had dealings with her, which is why we've never met?"

"Oh, Ariana." She smiled. "Luke's mentioned her lots of times. He's very fond of her."

"Yes." She smiled weakly and wondered if Luke had ever mentioned her. "Would you like to sit down?" she motioned toward the living room. After offering her a drink, she returned from the kitchen with the unusual request for a glass of milk for her and an espresso for herself. She paused at the door of the living room in surprise to catch her spinning around in the leather swivel chair. The sight of her made her smile. On seeing her at the door, she smiled back, stopped spinning, took the glass from her, and then moved to the leather couch. Lauren sat in her usual chair, so oversized it almost swallowed her up. She hated herself for hoping his runners wouldn't dirty her cream carpet.

"I'm sorry, I don't know your name," she said, trying to brighten up the dull tone in her voice.

"My name's Camila."
She spluttered coffee down her top as it caught in her throat.
Camila rushed over to pat her on the back. Her concerned eyes stared right into hers. Her forehead creased with worry.

Lauren coughed, feeling stupid, quickly broke eye contact, and cleared her throat. "Don't worry, I'm fine," she murmured. "It's just funny that your name is Camila, because . . ." she stopped. What was she going to say? Tell a stranger that her nephew was delusional? (A/N : (; ) Regardless of the Internet advice, she still wasn't sure his behavior could be considered normal. "Oh, it's a long story." She waved her hand dismissively and looked away to take another sip. "So, what is it that you do, Camila, if you don't mind me asking?" The warm coffee ran through her body. She felt herself coming back, slipping out of the coma of sadness.