Chapter 4

A/N: Lol thank you for the 12 reads I know what you are thinking that I am stupid thinking that 12 readers is a big number but for me like 12 people I don't know read my stories without being forced to do it !!! I love you, you 12 people you the real ones <3 :)

WORDS COUNT : 3200

Lauren pulled her dressing gown tighter around her body and secured it at the waist. She tucked her long legs up underneath her body and snuggled down into the oversized armchair in the living room. Her wet hair sat tower-like on the top of her head, twisted in a towel; her skin smelled fruity from her passion fruit bubble bath. She cradled a fresh cup of coffee, complete with splash of cream, in her hands, and stared at the television. She was literally watching paint dry. Her favorite house makeover show was on and she loved to see how they could transform the most run-down rooms into sophisticated, elegant homes.

Ever since she was a child, she had loved giving everything she touched a makeover. She passed the time spent waiting for her mother to return by decorating the kitchen table with scattered daisies, sprinkling glitter on the welcome mat by the door, causing a trail of glitter to garnish the dull stone floors of the bungalow, decorating the photo frames with fresh flowers, and sprinkling the bed linen with flower petals. She supposed it was her fix-it nature, always wanting something better than she had, never settling, never satisfied.

She also supposed it was her own childish way of trying to convince her mother to stay. She remembered thinking that perhaps the prettier the house, the longer her mother would remain home. But the daisies on the table were celebrated for no more than five minutes, the glitter on the doormat quickly trampled on, the flowers by the photo frames could not survive without water, and the petals on the bed would be tossed and float to the floor during her mother's fitful night's sleep. As soon as these were tired of, Lauren would immediately start thinking of something that would really grab and take hold of her mother's attention, something that she would be drawn to for longer than five minutes, something that she would love so much she would get an overwhelming feeling of being unable to leave it. Lauren never considered that as her mother's daughter, she should have been that something that her mother wished to cling to.

As she grew older, her love for bringing the beauty out in things grew as well. She had had much practice with that at her father's old farmhouse. Now she loved the days at work when she could restore old fireplaces and rip up ancient carpets to reveal beautiful original floors. Even in her own home she was always changing things, rearranging and trying to improve. She strove for perfection. She loved setting herself tasks, sometimes impossible ones, to prove to her heart that underneath every seemingly ugly thing there was something beautiful.

She loved her job, loved the satisfaction it brought, and with all the new developments and the surrounding nearby towns, she had made a very good living out of it. If anything new was happening, Lauren's company was the one they all called. She was a firm believer that good design enhanced life. Beautiful, comfortable, and functional spaces were what she endorsed.

Her own living room was about soft colors and textures; suede cushions and fluffy carpets; she loved to touch and feel everything. There were light colors of coffees and creams and just like the mug in her hand they helped clear her mind. In a world where most things were a clutter, having a peaceful home was vital to her sanity. It was her refuge, her nest, where she could hide from the problems outside her door. At least in her home she was in control. There, unlike in the rest of her life, she allowed in only those whom she wanted, she could decide how long they should stay, and where in her home they could be. Not like a heart, which let people in without permission, held them in a special place she never had any say in, and then yearned for them to remain there longer than they planned. No, the guests in Lauren's home came and went on her command. And she chose for them to stay away.