Chapter 2

It had been a week since our little encounter. After introducing myself, I couldn't stand the awkward silence and left.

I guessed he took my hostility as a sign of ' please never talk to me again ' because he hadn't made any interactions with me since then. I had seen him a couple of times in his front yard but none of us took the initiative of starting a conversation.

It was a good thing too. I wasn't exactly the type of person who would boost your social status. I hadn't seen the new kid around in school. Maybe he attended a different college or something.

Why would I care?

Oh right, he was the first person that bothered about my existence. By now, he'd probably heard the rumors (even though people neglected me, they always had something to say about everyone) about me from the other teenagers and decided that it was best to ignore me, like how the rest of them did. A smart decision, actually.

I heaved out a loud sigh. It was already 2 in the afternoon and I hadn't gotten out of bed yet. After washing up, I was craving for a cigarette, as usual. I was always craving for cigarettes. I had to search the entire house for me to realize that I had run out of those precious sticks that were possibly the only things that kept me alive. Oh and coffee.

I let out a low groan. I had to drive to the nearest convenience store to get myself a pack. I grabbed my car keys off the coffee table and got into my car. I drove a good five miles and brought home a plastic bag full of Marlboro Lights and a cup of coffee. The cool autumn air hit me as I carried the flimsy bag and locked my car.

I loved autumn; I loved how the leaves changed colors. I looked around and saw that majority of the leaves were turning orange. Lighting a cigarette, I sat on an old swing set in the front yard and admired the changing season.

" It's lovely, isn't it?" someone asked. I turned my head to the direction of that familiar voice. I didn't know why but I got up and opened the gates for Ashton Parker, inviting him to sit with me on the old musty swing set. Surprisingly, he did.

" Want one?" I asked, attempting to be polite. 

" No I don't smoke. You do know its damaging to your health right?" he cautioned me, grinning a little.

I nod, turning my attention back to the leaves. It was quiet for a while but I liked it. It wasn't an awkward silence and I felt comfortable being around a person for once.

" So... where are your parents?" he asked. Then it hit me. He wasn't here to enjoy a smoke or watch the changing season; he was here to pry on my life. He was curious. And I didn't like it.

I gave him a dry look before smoking the butt. " Don't you go to school?" I changed the subject almost immediately. I didn't like people prying into my life. In fact, I don't think I've ever told anyone anything personal about me but then again, they didn't even know my name.

" I'm homeschooled," he explained, "my parents aren't really into the 'sending their kid to a public school to be turned into a reckless teen with some form of STD' type of thing."

I laughed a little. Maybe he wasn't as bad as I thought.

" I reckon we start over. My name is Ashton Parker and I moved from Chicago. I'm eighteen and I suggest you quit smoking. I'm also your typical boy next door. " He said with a fake British accent.

" My name is Mia Roden. I'm eighteen and a permanent resident of San Francisco since 1996. No, I will not quit smoking. I'm also your typical loner." I smiled. Well, I tried to smile. I was a loner but that didn't mean that I was happy with it my label.

" Loner? Then it would be an honor to be your friend, Miss Roden." He extended his hand for a handshake. I looked at his gesture, analyzing the situation. Would it be a good idea? Obviously not.

" I don't bite." He smiled.

I probably shouldn't.

" I'm not very good at making friends." I stated the obvious in hopes of making him change his mind so that I wouldn't have to make the choice myself. I didn't know why I was so scared. Maybe it was because I never had any friends at all. Maybe it was because I knew that he would hate me once he found out what was really going on.

I looked into his persuading and comforting brown eyes, and I knew that he wouldn't take no for an answer. His brown eyes made me feel warm and safe. They made me feel like I wasn't a loser. They made me feel like I could trust him. They made me feel like I wasn't alone.

Hesitantly, I shook his hand.